Jane Fonda Receives 2014 AFI Life Achievement Award
Jane Fonda received 2014 AFI Life Achievement Award on June 5. At the event, Michael Douglas and Meryl Streep were among the stars who gave speeches to honor Jane. She was selected as the 42nd recipient of the award after her father, Henry Fonda, received the same award 36 years before.
Director Mel Brooks began the tribute to Jane, continued by Meryl and Michael, who later handed out the trophy to the "Barbarella" star. During the speech, Michael recalled his experience working with Jane in 1979's film "The China Syndrome", "I learned that not only is Jane an amazing actress, but she is the world's greatest multi-tasker. She was simultaneously an actress, she was a mom, she was a fitness expert and a brave, very courageous political activist."
"So, deep down, who really is Jane Fonda? She is one of a kind...," he continued to praise her, "Jane, you are true film royalty, not through birth, but through your talent."
After the speech, Michael then gave the trophy, which he previously won in 2009, to Jane. The "Monster-In-Law" actress then expressed her happiness when receiving the trophy by saying, "I'm so happy to add another woman's name to the list (of AFI award winners)."
The 76-year-old star began her career as an actress when playing with her father in "The Country Girl", a charity performance in 1954. She met Lee Strasberg in 1958 who inspired her to become an actress. Later in 1960, she starred in her first movie, "Tall Story" with Anthony Perkins, which helped her shoot to fame.
- Joanna Krupa Causes Internet Frenzy After Seemingly Posing Fully-Naked
- David Ayer Regrets That Joker Is Not 'Suicide Squad' Main Villain
- Robin Excitedly Tries on Different Costumes in First 'Lego Batman Movie' Clip
- Kendall Jenner Flashes Her Breasts in Sheer Top While Strolling Around Paris
- Kanye West Reportedly Ready to Continue His Canceled 'Saint Pablo' Tour
- Chelsea Clinton Branded Hypocrite After Defending Barron Trump From Cyberbullies
- New 'Powerless' Promo Features Crimson Fox Catching a Train
- Woody Harrelson Is Han Solo's Mentor in Upcoming 'Star Wars' Spin-Off