'Ghostbusters' Celebrates 30th Anniversary With Theatrical and Blu-ray Releases
Approaching the 30th anniversary of "Ghostbusters" franchise this weekend, Sony Pictures Entertainment announces that they will re-release the original 1984 film in theaters. The studio will also commemorate the event with special events and home entertainment releases.
" 'Ghostbusters' is still one of our studio's most beloved franchises - I was lucky enough to work on the release of the film on its first run, so it's a real thrill for me to see that it's still connecting with audiences everywhere," said Rory Bruer, president of worldwide distribution for Sony Pictures, in a statement. "On the big screen or in home entertainment, this is a great movie to experience again and again."
Per Entertainment Weekly, "Ghostbusters" will hit theaters beginning August 29 in more than 700 movie theaters in the U.S. and Canada. On September 16, the "Ghostbusters" 30th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray will be available along with "Ghostbusters II" 25th anniversary edition. It will be the first Blu-ray released for the sequel and it features new conversations with director Ivan Reitman and Dan Aykroyd, as well as deleted scenes from the sequel.
The two-disc anniversary edition Blu-ray digibook will also be available for sale for a limited period of time. The package includes both films and a limited edition gift set that features an exclusive collectible Slimer figurine.
"To celebrate this milestone anniversary, we wanted to create something new and collectible for fans. These new 'Ghostbusters' Blu-rays will feature the highest quality presentation along with new content that reflects the rich history of this iconic franchise," Lexine Wong, senior exec VP of worldwide marketing for Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, said.
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival