'Ghostbusters' Celebrates 30th Anniversary With Theatrical and Blu-ray Releases
Approaching the 30th anniversary of "Ghostbusters" franchise this weekend, Sony Pictures Entertainment announces that they will re-release the original 1984 film in theaters. The studio will also commemorate the event with special events and home entertainment releases.
" 'Ghostbusters' is still one of our studio's most beloved franchises - I was lucky enough to work on the release of the film on its first run, so it's a real thrill for me to see that it's still connecting with audiences everywhere," said Rory Bruer, president of worldwide distribution for Sony Pictures, in a statement. "On the big screen or in home entertainment, this is a great movie to experience again and again."
Per Entertainment Weekly, "Ghostbusters" will hit theaters beginning August 29 in more than 700 movie theaters in the U.S. and Canada. On September 16, the "Ghostbusters" 30th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray will be available along with "Ghostbusters II" 25th anniversary edition. It will be the first Blu-ray released for the sequel and it features new conversations with director Ivan Reitman and Dan Aykroyd, as well as deleted scenes from the sequel.
The two-disc anniversary edition Blu-ray digibook will also be available for sale for a limited period of time. The package includes both films and a limited edition gift set that features an exclusive collectible Slimer figurine.
"To celebrate this milestone anniversary, we wanted to create something new and collectible for fans. These new 'Ghostbusters' Blu-rays will feature the highest quality presentation along with new content that reflects the rich history of this iconic franchise," Lexine Wong, senior exec VP of worldwide marketing for Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, said.
- Kim Kardashian Filming 'Keeping Up with the Kardashians' Backstage at Kanye West's Concert
- Katy Perry Celebrates 32nd Birthday by Voting for Hillary Clinton and Hitting Kanye West's Concert
- 'Knight Rider' Gets Reboot From Producer Justin Lin
- Donnie Wahlberg, and Not Kim K., Sets Guiness World Record for Most Selfies in 3 Minutes
- Benedict Cumberbatch Channels Doctor Strange to Diagnose the Avengers in New Promo Clip
- Taylor Swift's Alleged Groping Photo Leaks Despite Sealed by Judge
- Nicole Richie Doesn't Regret Her Wild Past: I Was Just 'Being Me'
- Lady GaGa Makes a Japanese Bride Extra Happy With This Sweet Gesture. Watch It!