'Penny Dreadful' Renewed for a Longer Season 2
"Penny Dreadful" will return for a bigger season 2. Showtime has renewed the new drama series for a second season before the first season wraps up, but that's not the only good news. The network has ordered 10 new episodes, up two from its freshman run which consists of 8 episodes.
"Picking up 'Penny Dreadful' was one of the easiest decisions I've made," says David Nevins, president of Showtime Networks. "The series has had worldwide impact, drawing big, passionate audiences on both sides of the Atlantic, and more than any other show on our network has hit the bullseye with viewers who want to watch television in all the new ways that are available."
He adds, "[Series creator] John Logan has deftly created an epic series that has drawn raves from a wide-range of audiences from quality drama lovers to critics, to hardcore genre fans. We look forward to working once again with our partners at Sky Atlantic and are extremely excited for what's in store for season two."
"Penny Dreadful" airs Sundays at 10 P.M. ET/PT on Showtime. Nevins says the rest of the season will show more the expanded world of the show and explore the characters deeper. "It just gets richer deeper and more complicated with the characters," he tells Entertainment Weekly. "We're only four episodes in and you're only just getting a taste of what's to come."
Season to date, the psychosexual horror series has averaged 4.8 million viewers weekly across all Showtime platforms. It additionally ranks as the network's most-watched new show ever On Demand.
The second season will once again shoot in Dublin for a 2015 premiere.
More Penny Dreadful News
- Team Arrow Is on Break After Season Finale. What Will Bring Them Back Together?
- First Man Born on Mars Finds Love on Earth in First 'Space Between Us' Trailer
- Harry Styles Looks Handsome With His New Haircut. See His Clean-Cut Look!
- At Least Four People Shot During T.I.'s Concert in NY
- 'The Americans' to End After Two More Seasons
- Rihanna Launches 'Star Trek'-Inspired Eyewear With Dior. See the Futuristic Design!
- The Weeknd Cancels Performance on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' Because of Donald Trump
- Kanye West Plays Matchmaker for Exes Khloe Kardashian and French Montana