'Penny Dreadful' Renewed for a Longer Season 2
"Penny Dreadful" will return for a bigger season 2. Showtime has renewed the new drama series for a second season before the first season wraps up, but that's not the only good news. The network has ordered 10 new episodes, up two from its freshman run which consists of 8 episodes.
"Picking up 'Penny Dreadful' was one of the easiest decisions I've made," says David Nevins, president of Showtime Networks. "The series has had worldwide impact, drawing big, passionate audiences on both sides of the Atlantic, and more than any other show on our network has hit the bullseye with viewers who want to watch television in all the new ways that are available."
He adds, "[Series creator] John Logan has deftly created an epic series that has drawn raves from a wide-range of audiences from quality drama lovers to critics, to hardcore genre fans. We look forward to working once again with our partners at Sky Atlantic and are extremely excited for what's in store for season two."
"Penny Dreadful" airs Sundays at 10 P.M. ET/PT on Showtime. Nevins says the rest of the season will show more the expanded world of the show and explore the characters deeper. "It just gets richer deeper and more complicated with the characters," he tells Entertainment Weekly. "We're only four episodes in and you're only just getting a taste of what's to come."
Season to date, the psychosexual horror series has averaged 4.8 million viewers weekly across all Showtime platforms. It additionally ranks as the network's most-watched new show ever On Demand.
The second season will once again shoot in Dublin for a 2015 premiere.
- Cate Blanchett Turns Into a Drag Queen for Charity
- See Mindy Transforming Into a Handsome White Man on 'The Mindy Project'
- Video of Harrison Ford Flying Over Commercial Plane Emerges
- Karlie Kloss Flashes Major Sideboob as She Goes Braless at a Charity Event
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl Jersey Is Worth $500,000
- Jimmy Kimmel May Retire From Late-Night TV: 'I Have Very Little Free Time'
- 'The Flash' 3.14 Preview: Team Flash Is Ready to Battle Grodd and His Army
- Meghan Trainor to Release New Song 'I'm a Lady'