Don Cheadle Sets Up Crowdfunding for Miles Davis Biopic
"House of Lies" star Don Cheadle is intent on making a movie about Miles Davis that he has set up a crowdfunding campaign to raise money for the cause. Cheadle is attempting to raise $325,000 on Indiegogo.com.
Previously known as "Kill the Trumpet Player", "Miles Ahead" is a biopic set in the early 1980s when the iconic jazz trumpeter emerged back on the music scene after having been absent for about six years. The film was sold to international territories at the American Film Market last year and will mark Cheadle's directorial debut.
"We are eager to get the word out about our film and to build a community of people who are just as excited as we are about a Miles Davis movie," Cheadle said. "While Miles used his horn to communicate and create 'social music' we are using social media and today's online platforms to reach out to the music community, the film community and all people who are excited to see an explosive, cool music-filled movie."
As of late Wednesday, June 4 evening, the campaign had raised more than $29,000. The crowdfunding will end on July 10. Those who donated premiums will receive an array of posters, limited edition Miles Davis artwork, a coffee table book of Miles' artwork signed by Cheadle, set visits and screenings. Donating $15,000 will get fans a trip to the Cincinnati film set and an associate producer credit.
Regarding his approach of getting fund for the film, the actor said, "Most studios don't make these kinds of movies anymore, so we are doing it independently. I'm personally putting a big chunk of money into our budget as well as putting all my fees back in. But the extra money we hope to raise on Indiegogo will help us recreate the multiple time periods we're dealing with and with the logistics of incorporating all the music."
- 'Modern Family' to Make History by Casting Transgender Child Actor
- New 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Set Pic Sees Tom Holland Suiting Up as the Webslinger in Queens
- 'Scream Queens' 2.03 Preview Teases Bad Blood Between Chad and Brock
- Courteney Cox on Jennifer Aniston Dragged Into Brangelina Divorce: 'It's Not About Her'
- Rep Denies Lady GaGa Is Having Baby 'on Her Own'
- Get Your First Look at Nick Jonas in New 'Jumanji' Movie
- Report: Kourtney Kardashian Is Expecting Baby No. 4 With Scott Disick
- Taylor Swift's Squad Reportedly Abandons Her After Her 'Embarrassing Feuds and Breakups'