Gavin O'Connor to Direct True Story 'Massacre in the Himalayas'
Gavin O'Connor ("Jane Got a Gun", "Warrior") is tapped to helm "Massacre in the Himalayas", Variety learns. Based on Freddie Wilkinson's story on Men's Journal, it tells the true story of international mountain climbers who were attacked by a group of terrorists while trying to conquer the K2 summit in Pakistan.
"I love the idea of using the colossal backdrop of K2, the second highest peak on earth, to explore a man's battle for survival against the Taliban, nature, and himself," says O'Connor. "Our hero becomes a one-man army on a quest to avenge the deaths of his mountaineering team. His experience becomes a living nightmare, a lifetime journey, and a redefinition of the man."
The film is produced by Gianni Nunnari's Hollywood Gang Productions which has bought movie rights to Wilkinson's story. Nunnari's credits include "300", "300: Rise of an Empire", and "Immortals". The producers are now looking for a screenwriter to help turn the story into the big screen.
" 'Massacre in the Himalayas' is a Hollywood Gang kind of movie," Nunnari said. "It's hard-hitting and it's about extreme men in extreme circumstance. And Gavin is our perfect filmmaker; no one else brings his level of intensity or creates his kind of nuanced characters."
- 'Outlander' Casts David Berry in Pivotal Role of Lord John Grey
- 'Zombieland 2' Still Happening With Original's Scribes on Board
- Kim Kardashian Reportedly Furious Over Blac Chyna's Naked Photos for Paper Magazine
- Stephen Colbert Takes on Anthony Weiner's Sexting Scandal, Spoofs Beyonce's VMA Performance
- The Homeless Guy Accepting Miley Cyrus' Moonman at 2014 VMAs Is Selling the Trophy
- Beyonce's Daughter Blue Ivy Wears a $11,000 Dress to the VMAs Because of Course She Does
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Reportedly Eyes Liam Garrigan to Portray King Arthur
- No, It's Not Britney! Kourtney Kardashian Plays With Huge Snake in This Cringe-Inducing Picture