Gavin O'Connor to Direct True Story 'Massacre in the Himalayas'
Gavin O'Connor ("Jane Got a Gun", "Warrior") is tapped to helm "Massacre in the Himalayas", Variety learns. Based on Freddie Wilkinson's story on Men's Journal, it tells the true story of international mountain climbers who were attacked by a group of terrorists while trying to conquer the K2 summit in Pakistan.
"I love the idea of using the colossal backdrop of K2, the second highest peak on earth, to explore a man's battle for survival against the Taliban, nature, and himself," says O'Connor. "Our hero becomes a one-man army on a quest to avenge the deaths of his mountaineering team. His experience becomes a living nightmare, a lifetime journey, and a redefinition of the man."
The film is produced by Gianni Nunnari's Hollywood Gang Productions which has bought movie rights to Wilkinson's story. Nunnari's credits include "300", "300: Rise of an Empire", and "Immortals". The producers are now looking for a screenwriter to help turn the story into the big screen.
" 'Massacre in the Himalayas' is a Hollywood Gang kind of movie," Nunnari said. "It's hard-hitting and it's about extreme men in extreme circumstance. And Gavin is our perfect filmmaker; no one else brings his level of intensity or creates his kind of nuanced characters."
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance