Gavin O'Connor to Direct True Story 'Massacre in the Himalayas'
Gavin O'Connor ("Jane Got a Gun", "Warrior") is tapped to helm "Massacre in the Himalayas", Variety learns. Based on Freddie Wilkinson's story on Men's Journal, it tells the true story of international mountain climbers who were attacked by a group of terrorists while trying to conquer the K2 summit in Pakistan.
"I love the idea of using the colossal backdrop of K2, the second highest peak on earth, to explore a man's battle for survival against the Taliban, nature, and himself," says O'Connor. "Our hero becomes a one-man army on a quest to avenge the deaths of his mountaineering team. His experience becomes a living nightmare, a lifetime journey, and a redefinition of the man."
The film is produced by Gianni Nunnari's Hollywood Gang Productions which has bought movie rights to Wilkinson's story. Nunnari's credits include "300", "300: Rise of an Empire", and "Immortals". The producers are now looking for a screenwriter to help turn the story into the big screen.
" 'Massacre in the Himalayas' is a Hollywood Gang kind of movie," Nunnari said. "It's hard-hitting and it's about extreme men in extreme circumstance. And Gavin is our perfect filmmaker; no one else brings his level of intensity or creates his kind of nuanced characters."
- Amber Rose Says Julianne Hough Body Shamed Her With Her 'DWTS' Comment
- 'Wonder Woman' Writer Confirms Diana Prince Is 'Obviously' Bisexual
- Tyga May Have His Mom's Car Repossessed
- Get First Look at 'Outlander' Season 3
- Benedict Cumberbatch May Confirm Doctor Strange's Appearance in 'Thor: Ragnarok'
- Donald Trump Once Body-Shamed Kim Kardashian Too. This Is What He Said About Her
- Lena Dunham and Allison Williams Tearfully Say Goodbye to 'Girls' as Filming Wraps
- These Photos of Jim Carrey and Late Ex Suggest Her Marriage to Estranged Husband Was Fake