Gavin O'Connor to Direct True Story 'Massacre in the Himalayas'
Gavin O'Connor ("Jane Got a Gun", "Warrior") is tapped to helm "Massacre in the Himalayas", Variety learns. Based on Freddie Wilkinson's story on Men's Journal, it tells the true story of international mountain climbers who were attacked by a group of terrorists while trying to conquer the K2 summit in Pakistan.
"I love the idea of using the colossal backdrop of K2, the second highest peak on earth, to explore a man's battle for survival against the Taliban, nature, and himself," says O'Connor. "Our hero becomes a one-man army on a quest to avenge the deaths of his mountaineering team. His experience becomes a living nightmare, a lifetime journey, and a redefinition of the man."
The film is produced by Gianni Nunnari's Hollywood Gang Productions which has bought movie rights to Wilkinson's story. Nunnari's credits include "300", "300: Rise of an Empire", and "Immortals". The producers are now looking for a screenwriter to help turn the story into the big screen.
" 'Massacre in the Himalayas' is a Hollywood Gang kind of movie," Nunnari said. "It's hard-hitting and it's about extreme men in extreme circumstance. And Gavin is our perfect filmmaker; no one else brings his level of intensity or creates his kind of nuanced characters."
- Roger Ailes - Megyn Kelly Harassment Movie Is in the Works
- Surprise Baby Bump! Lake Bell Is Expecting Her Second Child
- T.J. Miller Arrested for Hitting Uber Driver
- Savannah Guthrie Gives Birth to Baby Boy
- 'Fast and Furious 8' Reveals Explosive Teaser Trailer and Official Title
- Louis Tomlinson Mourning the Loss of His Mother Who Dies of Leukemia
- Woody Harrelson Hell Bent on Killing Caesar in 'War for the Planet of the Apes' Trailer
- Keke Palmer Blames the World for 'Ugly' Kylie Jenner's Drastic Transformation