50 Cent Denies Bad Pitch at Mets Game Was a Publicity Stunt
50 Cent has an explanation for his embarrassing first pitch at a Mets game on Tuesday, May 27. During his appearance on "Good Morning America" on Friday, the rapper argued, "I'm not a professional pitcher. I make music."
The blunder happened at Citi Field where the NY Mets played against Pittsburgh Pirates. Standing on the rubber home plate, 50 launched a left-handed toss that sailed way off Mets catcher Anthony Recker. The ball nearly hit a cameramen standing on the field side. The rapper threw his hand up and laughed as the ball bounced to the backstop.
The pitch made everyone wonder whether he was really left-handed and whether it was a publicity stunt for his upcoming album release. "He did it so he would get all the press," an insider told Page Six. "He's got a new album coming out, a new TV show on Starz and he wants to launch a tour."
The 38-year-old rapper's rep had denied the allegation, saying, "It's apparent in his excitement on the mound that he released the ball too early, clearly not a stunt." 50 himself admitted on "GMA" that "it slipped." He jokingly blamed his alter ego Curtis Jackson for taking over the pitch. "See I was trying to get Curtis to be more like 50 Cent. 50 Cent is a star and Curtis just does things for no reason," he said.
But the pitch spared him from getting a police ticket. "But I actually got pulled over by New York City police, they pulled me over in my car, and he pulled me over and I said, 'I got my license, right?' Because I was a little nervous when he pulled me over, I was, like, 'Oh no, what did I do,' and then he said, 'You know that pitch was terrible,' " he recalled.
He continued, "He didn't give me a ticket, no nothing. He said, 'I don't want to mess up your day because you made me laugh.' "
50 will be back at Citi Field on June 14 to perform.
More 50 Cent News
- The Flash Reunites With Jay Garrick, Teams Up With Tom Felton's Character in Season 3 Photos
- 'Doctor Strange' IMAX Trailer Unveils Avengers Ties. Also Get Details About Rachel McAdams' Role
- Donald Trump on Former Miss Universe Alicia Machado He Once Called 'Miss Piggy': She's 'the Worst'
- Amy Schumer Is First Woman to Make Forbes' List of Highest-Paid Comedians
- Justin Bieber Blows Snots on Concertgoers After Telling Fans They 'Suck'
- Denzel Washington and Viola Davis Argue Over Their Hard Lives in 'Fences' Teaser Trailer
- Netflix Debuts First Trailer for Its Ambitious Royal Drama 'The Crown'
- Did Gigi Hadid Throw Shade at Harry Styles With This Photo of Zayn Malik?