50 Cent Denies Bad Pitch at Mets Game Was a Publicity Stunt
50 Cent has an explanation for his embarrassing first pitch at a Mets game on Tuesday, May 27. During his appearance on "Good Morning America" on Friday, the rapper argued, "I'm not a professional pitcher. I make music."
The blunder happened at Citi Field where the NY Mets played against Pittsburgh Pirates. Standing on the rubber home plate, 50 launched a left-handed toss that sailed way off Mets catcher Anthony Recker. The ball nearly hit a cameramen standing on the field side. The rapper threw his hand up and laughed as the ball bounced to the backstop.
The pitch made everyone wonder whether he was really left-handed and whether it was a publicity stunt for his upcoming album release. "He did it so he would get all the press," an insider told Page Six. "He's got a new album coming out, a new TV show on Starz and he wants to launch a tour."
The 38-year-old rapper's rep had denied the allegation, saying, "It's apparent in his excitement on the mound that he released the ball too early, clearly not a stunt." 50 himself admitted on "GMA" that "it slipped." He jokingly blamed his alter ego Curtis Jackson for taking over the pitch. "See I was trying to get Curtis to be more like 50 Cent. 50 Cent is a star and Curtis just does things for no reason," he said.
But the pitch spared him from getting a police ticket. "But I actually got pulled over by New York City police, they pulled me over in my car, and he pulled me over and I said, 'I got my license, right?' Because I was a little nervous when he pulled me over, I was, like, 'Oh no, what did I do,' and then he said, 'You know that pitch was terrible,' " he recalled.
He continued, "He didn't give me a ticket, no nothing. He said, 'I don't want to mess up your day because you made me laugh.' "
50 will be back at Citi Field on June 14 to perform.
- Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt 'Never Wanted Sex' Prior to Their Split
- Kim Kardashian's Paris Robbery Crime Scene Photos Emerge
- Lisa Marie Presley's Kids in State Custody After Indecent Child Pics Were Found on Ex's Computer
- Samuel L. Jackson Hints at Nick Fury's Appearance in 'Captain Marvel'
- Aaron Carter Responds to Racism Accusation After Onstage Brawl
- Angelina Jolie Takes Her 6 Kids to Cambodia Amid Brad Pitt Divorce and Custody Drama
- Zoe Saldana Gives Birth to Baby No. 3 With Marco Perego
- Royal Showdown! Kate Middleton Reportedly Feuding With Meghan Markle