New 'Stargate' Trilogy Announced With Roland Emmerich on Board to Direct
MGM and Warner Bros. are teaming up to launch a new "Stargate" trilogy. Together with Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin who conceived the sci-fi movie franchise, they will make new feature films that reimagine the 1994 adventure movie with Emmerich on board as director and Devlin set to produce.
MGM's Chairman and CEO Gary Barber said when announcing the news on Thursday, May 29, "We couldn't be more excited to once again partner with Roland and Dean, the world-class creators of the original 'Stargate', to bring their reinvigorated vision of this wildly popular property to audiences of multiple generations. 'Stargate' is one of the biggest titles in MGM's vast library, and we look forward to adding this great franchise to our slate."
Emmerich and Devlin added, "The 'Stargate' universe is one that we missed terribly, and we cannot wait to get going on imagining new adventures and situations for the trilogy. This story is very close to our hearts, and getting the chance to revisit this world is in many ways like a long lost child that has found its way back home."
The original film starring Kurt Russell and James Spader grossed nearly $200 million at the global box office. The movie has spawned three live-action television spin-offs, one animated series and two direct-to-DVD feature films.
Emmerich is currently shooting gay rights drama "Stonewall" which is set in 1969's New York during the Stonewall Riots. He's is also tapped to direct "ID Forever Part 1" and "ID Forever Part 2", the follow-ups to 1996's "Independence Day", back-to-back.
- Justin Bieber Shares His Old Mugshot, Reflects on His Troubled Past
- 'The Predator' Release Date Pushed Back
- 'Deadpool 2' and 'New Mutants' Get Release Dates
- Video: Kylie Jenner Holding Hands With Travis Scott
- 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' and Release Date Officially Announced
- Jay-Z Renews Deal With Live Nation
- 'Avatar' Sequels Release Dates Unveiled
- Kourtney Kardashian Goes Undercover as News Reporter and Nobody Recognizes Her