James Cameron Joins Forces With Cirque du Soleil for 'Avatar' Live Show
James Cameron is bringing his biggest blockbuster movie "Avatar" to the stage. He collaborates with performing troupe Cirque du Soleil for a live show version of his film. 20th Century Fox, the financier and distributor of the movie franchise, will serve as a partner along with Jon Landau's Lightstorm Entertainment.
The project was announced on Thursday, May 29 in Montreal during an international business C2MTL- Commerce + Creativity Conference. "We have to deliver to the level of James Cameron, which is not easy, but that's the challenge we gave to ourselves," said Daniel Lamarre, president and CEO of Cirque du Soleil.
It will be Cameron's second collaboration with the Montreal-based group. The Oscar-winning director previously served as an executive producer and camera operator in 2012's 3D film "Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away".
"We immediately recognized in each other people who were very creative and very dedicated to taking the audience on an experience," he said. "Not just showing them something, but involving them and engaging their imagination and even their subconscious mind."
"We've been through the fire together and we now know each other," Cameron said, noting that discussions to adapt "Avatar" into a live show had been going for a few years. "The only way to really know people you're going to be partners with is actually to go through a project together." He added, "We hope to create an experience that's going to be absolutely unique for a global audience."
Released in 2009 after years in development, "Avatar" bagged $2.7 billion worldwide and remains the highest-grossing film of all time, followed by another Cameron brilliant film "Titanic". A sequel is currently in pre-production for a December 2016 release. Two more movies are planned for 2017 and 2018. The live show is expected to debut in late 2015 before the second film arrives.
More Avatar News
- Lucasfilm Isn't Happy With Alden Ehrenreich's 'Han Solo' Performance
- Israel Names a Beach After Britney Spears
- Taylor Swift Resurfaces With New Look in a Congratulatory Video for Russell Westbrook
- Pregnant Serena Williams Poses Nearly Nude for Vanity Fair
- Scott Disick Risks Liver Failure With His Binge Drinking Habit
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Series Finale Photos: Get First Look at Aria's Wedding Dress
- Is Khloe Kardashian Pregnant? Tristan Thompson Believes She Will Be the 'Best Mom'
- Insecure Kylie Jenner Thinks She's Ugly