Gwyneth Paltrow Speaks of Online Haters' 'Dehumanizing' Comments
Gwyneth Paltrow said she needed some time before she could ignore hateful comments posted on the internet. The actress talked about her experience with online haters prior to her appearance at the Code Conference in Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif. on Tuesday, May 27.
"The internet is an amazing opportunity, socially," the actress said. However, some people use their ability to go anonymous in the World Wide Web to leave hurtful comments about others. In the interview with Re/code which hosted the event, the mother of two likened her experience with online haters with surviving a war.
"You come across [online comments] about yourself and about your friends, and it's a very dehumanizing thing. It's almost like how, in war, you go through this bloody, dehumanizing thing, and then something is defined out of it. My hope is, as we get out of it, we'll reach the next level of conscience," she explained.
"It's taken me a long time to get to the point where I can see these things and not take it as a personal affront and a hurt. I see myself as a chalkboard or a whiteboard or a screen, and someone is just putting up their own projection on it," she shared.
"It's almost like we're being given this test: Can you regulate yourself? Can you grow from this? Can you learn? You can make it as bloody as you want to, but is that the point?" the "Iron Man 3" star added.
More Gwyneth Paltrow News
- Bye 'KUWTK'! Kim Kardashian Is Focusing on Her New Show 'Glam Masters'
- Report: Kourtney Kardashian and Younes Bendjima Are Getting Serious
- Selena Gomez and The Weeknd Are Spotted on Movie Date in Chicago
- Mac Miller Wants to Cancel His Tour to Be by Ariana Grande's Side After Concert Bombing
- 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' New Vanity Fair Covers Offer New Look at Cast Members
- Jennifer Lopez Shares Sweet Picture With Alex Rodriguez, Dubs Him Her Man Crush
- Jimmy Kimmel Predicts Rachel Lindsay's 'The Bachelorette' Final 3
- Rain and Kim Tae Hee Are Expecting Their First Child