Gwyneth Paltrow Speaks of Online Haters' 'Dehumanizing' Comments
Gwyneth Paltrow said she needed some time before she could ignore hateful comments posted on the internet. The actress talked about her experience with online haters prior to her appearance at the Code Conference in Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif. on Tuesday, May 27.
"The internet is an amazing opportunity, socially," the actress said. However, some people use their ability to go anonymous in the World Wide Web to leave hurtful comments about others. In the interview with Re/code which hosted the event, the mother of two likened her experience with online haters with surviving a war.
"You come across [online comments] about yourself and about your friends, and it's a very dehumanizing thing. It's almost like how, in war, you go through this bloody, dehumanizing thing, and then something is defined out of it. My hope is, as we get out of it, we'll reach the next level of conscience," she explained.
"It's taken me a long time to get to the point where I can see these things and not take it as a personal affront and a hurt. I see myself as a chalkboard or a whiteboard or a screen, and someone is just putting up their own projection on it," she shared.
"It's almost like we're being given this test: Can you regulate yourself? Can you grow from this? Can you learn? You can make it as bloody as you want to, but is that the point?" the "Iron Man 3" star added.
More Gwyneth Paltrow News
- Kylie Jenner Wraps Her Body With Real Snake in Sneak Peek of Sexy 2017 Calendar
- Lady GaGa Shares Kindness With the Help of Taylor Kinney and Her Mom
- Shia LaBeouf Unleashes New Freestyle in Response to Soulja Boy's Threats
- Nicki Minaj Gets Heavily Criticized for Making Fun of Mentally Ill Woman
- 'The Mummy' Director on Whether Tom Cruise's Character Dies in the First Trailer
- 'Westworld' Showrunners Address Evil Dolores and Ford's Fate
- Justin Bieber Announces 2017 U.S. Stadium Tour Dates
- Blac Chyna Seems to Diss Kylie Jenner and Tyga on Snapchat. Is This Khloe's Response?