Gwyneth Paltrow Speaks of Online Haters' 'Dehumanizing' Comments
Gwyneth Paltrow said she needed some time before she could ignore hateful comments posted on the internet. The actress talked about her experience with online haters prior to her appearance at the Code Conference in Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif. on Tuesday, May 27.
"The internet is an amazing opportunity, socially," the actress said. However, some people use their ability to go anonymous in the World Wide Web to leave hurtful comments about others. In the interview with Re/code which hosted the event, the mother of two likened her experience with online haters with surviving a war.
"You come across [online comments] about yourself and about your friends, and it's a very dehumanizing thing. It's almost like how, in war, you go through this bloody, dehumanizing thing, and then something is defined out of it. My hope is, as we get out of it, we'll reach the next level of conscience," she explained.
"It's taken me a long time to get to the point where I can see these things and not take it as a personal affront and a hurt. I see myself as a chalkboard or a whiteboard or a screen, and someone is just putting up their own projection on it," she shared.
"It's almost like we're being given this test: Can you regulate yourself? Can you grow from this? Can you learn? You can make it as bloody as you want to, but is that the point?" the "Iron Man 3" star added.
More Gwyneth Paltrow News
- Cuba Gooding Jr. Generates Online Outrage After Lifting Up Sarah Paulson's Skirt at PaleyFest
- New Footage of 'Blade Runner 2049' Is Screened at CinemaCon
- Nina Agdal Flaunts Her Enviable Figure in Skimpy Bikinis for New Swimwear Campaign
- Matthew Morrison Joins 'Grey's Anatomy' in Mystery Role. Get the First Look
- Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey Confront Each Other in 'The Dark Tower' First Footage
- Kris Jenner's 'Desperate to Hook Up' With O.J. Simpson. What About Toy Boy Corey Gamble?
- The Weeknd Secretly Serenades Selena Gomez at Brazilian Concert Backstage
- 'Arrow': Katie Cassidy Returns for Season 6 as Series Regular With a Twist