LeVar Burton's Kickstarter Campaign to Revive 'Reading Rainbow' Already Surpasses Goal
LeVar Burton's attempt to reboot "Reading Rainbow" has received a lot of support. The actor, who hosted the children's show, launched a Kickstarter campaign on Wednesday, May 28, asking fans to help raise $1 million by July 2 to fund the project. In less than 24 hours, the campaign has garnered more than $1.5 million.
Burton's vision for the new version of "Reading Rainbow" is to make it available to any children via Internet. He also plans to create a specialized classroom version and deliver it for free to schools in need.
"Join me on my mission, to bring 'Reading Rainbow' back for every child, everywhere. Together, we can change the lives of millions of children," so the Geordi La Forge of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" wrote on the Kickstarter page.
"I believe that every child has a right, and a need, to be literate. We have a responsibility to prepare our children ... and right now, the numbers show that we, as a society, are failing in that responsibility," he added. "Right now, 1 out of every 4 children in America will grow up illiterate."
"Through 'Reading Rainbow', we've been working to solve these problems for over three decades. Starting in 1983, 'Reading Rainbow' successfully used television to turn generations of kids into lifelong readers... with great results."
The children's series aired on PBS until 2006. The show won 26 Emmy Awards during its run. In 2012, Burton launched the "Reading Rainbow" App for tablets.
- Ariana Grande and Mac Miller Haven't Put a Label on Relationship Even After Caught Kissing
- Naya Rivera Reveals She Got Pregnant and Had an Abortion When She Was on 'Glee'
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Recap: A Man Gets His Heart Broken and Leaves
- Stan Lee Supports Zendaya to Portray Mary Jane in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston Bring Thor and Loki to Children Hospital in Australia
- Kendall Jenner Flaunts Her Booty in Unpublished Vogue Pic
- 'Pretty Little Liars' 7.10 Preview: The Kidnapper Gets Attacked
- Iggy Azalea Hits Recording Studio With Verse Simmonds