Anthony Mackie Pursues Jesse Owens Role in Passion Project
"Captain America: The Winter Soldier" star Anthony Mackie is on track to play another living legend. Like many filmmakers, the 35-year-old actor is pursuing a Jesse Owens biopic in which he will portray the so-called "greatest and most famous athlete in track and field history".
According to Deadline, playing Owens is a passion project of Mackie. He has worked together with "We Are Marshall" writer Jamie Linden to produce the movie that uses a script written under their supervision by George Olson. Together with Jason Spire, Mackie and Linden will soon shop the project to distributors. They were hoping for a start date later this year in Germany.
Mackie has a lot of competitors in the game. Disney is developing a movie based on Jeremy Schaap's book "Triumph: The Untold Story of Jesse Owens" with "The King's Speech" scribe David Seidler handling the script. Focus Features is eying a project that will have Stephan James as Owens and Stephen Hopkins as the director.
Mackie had played Tupac Shakur in "Notorious" and is slated to portray Jimi Hendrix opposite Noomi Rapace in a not-yet-titled biopic.
- 'True Blood' Alum Stephen Moyer Lands Lead Role on FOX's 'X-Men' Series Pilot
- Mariah Carey's Boobs Almost Spill Out of Her Plunging Dress at Vanity Fair's Oscars Party
- Selena Gomez and The Weeknd Go for a Date Night in Paris as Bella Hadid Parties Just Blocks Away
- Russell Crowe May Portray Cable in 'Deadpool 2'
- Keyshia Cole Punishes Cheating Boyfriend in 'You' Music Video Ft. Remy Ma and French Montana
- Vera Farmiga Set to Star as Millie Bobby Brown's On-Screen Mother in 'Godzilla 2'
- Lorde Teases Upcoming Music With Mysterious Ad
- 'The Voice' Season 12 Premiere: Gwen Stefani Returns as Coach and Wins the First Four-Way Battle