Anthony Mackie Pursues Jesse Owens Role in Passion Project
"Captain America: The Winter Soldier" star Anthony Mackie is on track to play another living legend. Like many filmmakers, the 35-year-old actor is pursuing a Jesse Owens biopic in which he will portray the so-called "greatest and most famous athlete in track and field history".
According to Deadline, playing Owens is a passion project of Mackie. He has worked together with "We Are Marshall" writer Jamie Linden to produce the movie that uses a script written under their supervision by George Olson. Together with Jason Spire, Mackie and Linden will soon shop the project to distributors. They were hoping for a start date later this year in Germany.
Mackie has a lot of competitors in the game. Disney is developing a movie based on Jeremy Schaap's book "Triumph: The Untold Story of Jesse Owens" with "The King's Speech" scribe David Seidler handling the script. Focus Features is eying a project that will have Stephan James as Owens and Stephen Hopkins as the director.
Mackie had played Tupac Shakur in "Notorious" and is slated to portray Jimi Hendrix opposite Noomi Rapace in a not-yet-titled biopic.
- Bad Blood! Jennifer Aniston and Chelsea Handler Are Feuding
- Amanda Bynes Blacklists Parents as She Relaunches Career
- George Clooney and Amal Are Moving Their Children to L.A. for Safety Reasons
- Hugh Jackman Launches His First Circus in 'The Greatest Showman' Trailer
- Inside J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez's Secret Romantic Proposal in Paris
- Ex-Sistar Member Bora Is Dating Big Star's Feeldog
- The Obamas' Balinese Vacation Pictures: See the Family During Temple Visit and Rafting
- Ritz-Carlton Responds After Leslie Jones Accused It of Racism