Anthony Mackie Pursues Jesse Owens Role in Passion Project
"Captain America: The Winter Soldier" star Anthony Mackie is on track to play another living legend. Like many filmmakers, the 35-year-old actor is pursuing a Jesse Owens biopic in which he will portray the so-called "greatest and most famous athlete in track and field history".
According to Deadline, playing Owens is a passion project of Mackie. He has worked together with "We Are Marshall" writer Jamie Linden to produce the movie that uses a script written under their supervision by George Olson. Together with Jason Spire, Mackie and Linden will soon shop the project to distributors. They were hoping for a start date later this year in Germany.
Mackie has a lot of competitors in the game. Disney is developing a movie based on Jeremy Schaap's book "Triumph: The Untold Story of Jesse Owens" with "The King's Speech" scribe David Seidler handling the script. Focus Features is eying a project that will have Stephan James as Owens and Stephen Hopkins as the director.
Mackie had played Tupac Shakur in "Notorious" and is slated to portray Jimi Hendrix opposite Noomi Rapace in a not-yet-titled biopic.
- Jeremih Allegedly Sends a Body Double to Perform for Him in Houston
- Twitter Trolls Respond to Amy Schumer's 'Barbie' Casting With Fat-Shaming Comments
- Kylie Jenner Braves the Cold Weather in Racy Bikini in These Pics
- Naked Jai Courtney Chased 'Suicide Squad' Director Around on Set. See the NSFW Photo!
- Robert Pattinson Is Proud of Kristen Stewart and Is 'Super Impressed' With Her Rolling Stones Video
- Lady GaGa Wants Fans to Join Her at Super Bowl Halftime Show
- Supergirl to Battle Superman's Villain Mr. Mxyzptlk This Season
- J. Cole Disses Fellow Rappers on New Song 'False Prophet'