Beastie Boys' Ad-Rock Testifies During Copyright Trial Against Monster
Adam "Ad-Rock" Horovitz, one of two surviving members of Beastie Boys, testified in federal court in Manhattan on Tuesday, May 27. The rapper was called as the first witness in a lawsuit the group filed against Monster Energy Co.
Beastie Boys sued Monster in 2012, claiming that their songs were illegally used in the company's ad. The group sought $1 million in damages for the song licenses and another $1 million for the "implied endorsement" of being featured in the Monster video.
According to Billboard, the company was sure that their forthcoming witnesses would be able to prove that damages wouldn't exceed $125,000.
The company also commented on the lawsuit in a new statement obtained by Pitchfork. In it, they said, "Monster in good faith believed it had obtained the rights to use a compilation of certain Beastie Boys music for an Internet video."
"The music that Monster used was provided by [DJ Z-Trip], who told Monster he had permission. When Monster was notified by the Beastie Boys that the company was mistaken in its belief that it had the proper authorization, Monster immediately removed the video from the Internet," they continued.
Monster is not the only company that Beastie Boys has sued for copyright infringement. Last year, they sued GoldieBlox after finding out that their song "Girls" was used in the toy company's viral video ad.
- George and Amal Clooney Unabashedly Affectionate on Movie Set
- Kris Jenner Tearfully Blasts 'Disloyal' Kim Over Caitlyn Jenner Drama, Wants Her to Pick Sides
- Watch the First Teaser Trailer for Barack Obama Biopic 'Barry'
- Benedict Cumberbatch's Doctor Strange Not the Right Magician for Birthday Party. Watch It Yourself!
- Amy Adams Tries to Save The World From Aliens in Tense 'Arrival' Trailer
- Shania Twain Promises New Music, Carrie Underwood Gets Teary at CMT Artists of the Year
- Benedict Cumberbatch Is Expecting Second Child With Wife Sophie Hunter
- Ciara Drops Defamation Suit Against Ex Future Because She Has Too Much Money