Nia Vardalos and John Corbett Confirmed for 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' Sequel
"My Big Fat Greek Wedding" sequel is moving forward with confirmation that the main stars from the original film, Nia Vardalos and John Corbett, will return for the second one. Tom Hanks, wife Rita Wilson, and Gary Goetzman will be back as producers as well.
Vardalos will also write and produce the sequel. "Now that I'm experiencing motherhood, I'm ready to write the next chapter of my family story," she said. "Of course a few jaded folks in the press corps will claim I ran out of money or just want to kiss John Corbett again. One of these things is true."
Inspired by Vardalos' own experience growing up in a Greek household and marrying a non-Greek man, actor Ian Gomez, "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" started out as a one-woman play which she performed for six weeks at the Hudson Backstage Theatre in Los Angeles in 1997.
When it was turned into a feature film in 2002, the movie became the highest-grossing romantic comedy of all time. Despite never reaching No. 1 on at local box office, it grossed $241 million in North America and $368 million worldwide against a mere budget of $5 million. On top of that, it earned Vardalos an Oscar nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay.
The original film followed Fotoula 'Toula' Portokalos (Vardalos) marrying her non-Greek beau Ian Miller (Corbett) in a huge wedding. The epilogue saw the couple six years after their marriage with a daughter. Now, the sequel involves "the reveal of a family secret and a new wedding, described as bigger and fatter, that brings the Greek clan together again."
Joel Zwick directed the first film, but no director is announced for the follow-up which is developed at Hanks and Wilson's Playtone in conjunction with HBO Films and Gold Circle.
- Gigi Hadid's Family Wants Her to Dump Zayn Malik Because of This
- Is Destiny's Child Reunion Happening? Here's What Kelly Rowland Says
- Kim Kardashian's Sex Tape Turned Into Virtual Reality Experience
- 'Game of Thrones' Set Photos: Jon Snow Reunites With an Old Friend and It's Doesn't Look Friendly
- Jennifer Lawrence Was 'Stressed Out' When Dating Chris Martin, Is Happier With Darren Aronofsky
- Blake Lively Celebrates Ryan Reynolds' 40th Birthday Amid Physical Abuse Allegations
- Justin Bieber Extends 'Purpose World Tour' After Storming Off Stage Mid-Performance
- Ice Cube and 'Hamilton' Helmer Team Up for 'Oliver Twist' Musical at Disney