'X-Men: Days of Future Past' Tops 4-Day Memorial Weekend Box Office
"X-Men: Days of Future Past" is estimated to have taken about $111 million in the four-day weekend box office. It became the second-largest opening of any "X-Men" film behind "X-Men: The Last Stand" which opened to $122 million in 2006.
The Bryan Singer-directed film brought in $91.4 million from Friday to Sunday and an additional $10 million on Monday, May 26 after opening in over 4,000 U.S. theaters. The Marvel movie is projected to be the fifth best Memorial Day holiday weekend debut in box office history behind "Fast and Furious 6". The first place belongs to "Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End" that debuted in 2007 with $139 million.
"This is a franchise that started back in 2000, which predated the first 'Spider-Man' movie by two years so 'X-Men' started the renaissance in the world of big superhero movies," Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst for box-office tracker Rentrak said.
Meanwhile, last week's box office champion held the second position with $39.4 million from Thursday to Monday. Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore's romcom "Blended" settled in at number three with $18.1 million. "Neighbors" took in $17.2 million in its third weekend, followed by "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" with $10 million.
Four-day Memorial Weekend box office:
- "X-Men: Days of Future Past" - $111 million
- "Godzilla" - $39.4 million
- "Blended" - $18.1 million
- "Neighbors" - $17.2 million
- "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" - $10 million
- "Million Dollar Arm" - $8.7 million
- "The Other Woman (2014)" - $4.5 million
- "Rio 2" - $3.2 million
- "Chef (2014)" - $2.9 million
- "Heaven Is for Real" - $2.7 million
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance