Jim Carrey Receives Honorary Doctorate Degree
Jim Carrey has received a honorary doctorate degree of Doctor of Fine Arts Honoris Caus from Maharishi University of Management in Iowa. The actor delivered a speech at the commencement which took place on Saturday, May 24 at the Golden Dome on the campus in Fairfield.
Speaking in front of more than 1000 people, including 285 graduates, the "Dumb and Dumber To" actor talked about making decisions in life and shared a personal story of his father who "could have been a great comedian," but he "made a conservative choice" as an accountant. Carrey's father then lost his job when the actor was 12 and the family "had to do whatever we could to survive."
"I learned many great lessons from my father, not the least of which was that you could fail at what you don't love, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love," he told the audience. He also talked about being a comedian, sharing an advice, "I can tell you from experience the effect you have on others is the most valuable currency there is."
A Maharishi graduate called Elizabeth Heck told The Des Moines Register that she was "impressed" by the speech. "I was kind of worried when I first heard he was going to be the speaker because I wasn't sure if he was just there because of his celebrity status. What he said really impressed me. The guy has a big heart," she said.
- Jeremih Allegedly Sends a Body Double to Perform for Him in Houston
- Twitter Trolls Respond to Amy Schumer's 'Barbie' Casting With Fat-Shaming Comments
- Kylie Jenner Braves the Cold Weather in Racy Bikini in These Pics
- Naked Jai Courtney Chased 'Suicide Squad' Director Around on Set. See the NSFW Photo!
- Robert Pattinson Is Proud of Kristen Stewart and Is 'Super Impressed' With Her Rolling Stones Video
- Lady GaGa Wants Fans to Join Her at Super Bowl Halftime Show
- Supergirl to Battle Superman's Villain Mr. Mxyzptlk This Season
- J. Cole Disses Fellow Rappers on New Song 'False Prophet'