Jim Carrey Receives Honorary Doctorate Degree
Jim Carrey has received a honorary doctorate degree of Doctor of Fine Arts Honoris Caus from Maharishi University of Management in Iowa. The actor delivered a speech at the commencement which took place on Saturday, May 24 at the Golden Dome on the campus in Fairfield.
Speaking in front of more than 1000 people, including 285 graduates, the "Dumb and Dumber To" actor talked about making decisions in life and shared a personal story of his father who "could have been a great comedian," but he "made a conservative choice" as an accountant. Carrey's father then lost his job when the actor was 12 and the family "had to do whatever we could to survive."
"I learned many great lessons from my father, not the least of which was that you could fail at what you don't love, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love," he told the audience. He also talked about being a comedian, sharing an advice, "I can tell you from experience the effect you have on others is the most valuable currency there is."
A Maharishi graduate called Elizabeth Heck told The Des Moines Register that she was "impressed" by the speech. "I was kind of worried when I first heard he was going to be the speaker because I wasn't sure if he was just there because of his celebrity status. What he said really impressed me. The guy has a big heart," she said.
More Jim Carrey News
- Report: Blake Shelon Is Hiding Shameful Family Secrets From Gwen Stefani
- Kim Kardashian Hits Back at Haters Over Her Unretouched Bikini Photos
- Are J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez Readying New Show Together?
- La La Vazquez Parties at NYC Strip Club After Ditching Kim Kardashian's Mexican Getaway
- Paris Jackson Flashes Nipples as She Goes Braless in Skimpy Outfit
- La La Vazquez Is Too Heartbroken to Join Kim Kardashian's Vacation in Mexico
- Harry Styles Makes a Mysterious Response to His Han Solo Casting Rumors
- G-Dragon and Sulli's Recent Instagram Posts Fuel Dating Speculation