Saw-Wielding Man Attacks Members of Japanese Group AKB48
A saw-wielding man attacked the members of AKB48 during a fan meeting over the weekend, leaving two members and a staff member injured. As reported by Reuters, the Japanese super group was shaking hands with fans in Takizawa city in northeastern Japan on Sunday, May 25 when a man attacked them with a 50-cm saw.
Two of the group members, a 19-year-old Rina Kawaei and 18-year-old Anna Iriyama, as well as a staff member were injured due to the attack. According to Japanese media, the girls received treatment for cut and broken fingers, while Iriyama additionally suffered some cuts to her face.
"The surgery ended successfully and their condition is stable. They should be able to leave hospital tomorrow," the group's manager said. The male staff member, meanwhile, suffered cuts to his hand.
The 24-year-old man, Satoru Umeta, was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder. "We have started questioning the suspect this morning to know details, including his motive," a detective from Iwate prefectural police told AFP.
AKB48 has a massive fan base in Japan and other Asian countries. They are popular for their energetic, cheerful dance moves. The group's fan events as well as a concert scheduled for Monday night in Tokyo have been canceled.
- Jennifer Lopez Shares Sweet Picture With Alex Rodriguez, Dubs Him Her Man Crush
- Jimmy Kimmel Predicts Rachel Lindsay's 'The Bachelorette' Final 3
- Rain and Kim Tae Hee Are Expecting Their First Child
- Iggy Azalea Addresses Feud With Adam Lambert: 'This Is Completely Entertainment'
- SISTAR Disbands After 7 Years, Members Pen Heartfelt Handwritten Letters to Fans
- Michael Jackson's Songs Are Reportedly Not Allowed to Be Featured in 'Bubbles'
- The Weeknd Buys $18 Million Luxurious House. Will Selena Gomez Move In?
- Celine Dion and Cher Reportedly Feuding at BBMAs