Saw-Wielding Man Attacks Members of Japanese Group AKB48
A saw-wielding man attacked the members of AKB48 during a fan meeting over the weekend, leaving two members and a staff member injured. As reported by Reuters, the Japanese super group was shaking hands with fans in Takizawa city in northeastern Japan on Sunday, May 25 when a man attacked them with a 50-cm saw.
Two of the group members, a 19-year-old Rina Kawaei and 18-year-old Anna Iriyama, as well as a staff member were injured due to the attack. According to Japanese media, the girls received treatment for cut and broken fingers, while Iriyama additionally suffered some cuts to her face.
"The surgery ended successfully and their condition is stable. They should be able to leave hospital tomorrow," the group's manager said. The male staff member, meanwhile, suffered cuts to his hand.
The 24-year-old man, Satoru Umeta, was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder. "We have started questioning the suspect this morning to know details, including his motive," a detective from Iwate prefectural police told AFP.
AKB48 has a massive fan base in Japan and other Asian countries. They are popular for their energetic, cheerful dance moves. The group's fan events as well as a concert scheduled for Monday night in Tokyo have been canceled.
- MTV VMAs 2016: Kanye West Debuts 'Fade' Music Video, Talks About Taylor Swift in Speech
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Not Married Despite That Ring on Her Finger
- 'Don't Breathe' Scares 'Suicide Squad' Away From Box Office's No. 1
- MTV VMAs 2016: Drake, Calvin Harris and Fifth Harmony Among Early Winners
- MTV VMAs 2016: Watch Rihanna, Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj's Performances
- Ariana Grande Confirms She's Dating Mac Miller at 2016 MTV VMAs
- Frank Ocean Earns First No. 1 Album on Billboard 200 With 'Blonde'
- MTV VMAs 2016: Beyonce Is Snow Queen, Kim Kardashian and Nicki Minaj Show Skin on Red Carpet