Saw-Wielding Man Attacks Members of Japanese Group AKB48
A saw-wielding man attacked the members of AKB48 during a fan meeting over the weekend, leaving two members and a staff member injured. As reported by Reuters, the Japanese super group was shaking hands with fans in Takizawa city in northeastern Japan on Sunday, May 25 when a man attacked them with a 50-cm saw.
Two of the group members, a 19-year-old Rina Kawaei and 18-year-old Anna Iriyama, as well as a staff member were injured due to the attack. According to Japanese media, the girls received treatment for cut and broken fingers, while Iriyama additionally suffered some cuts to her face.
"The surgery ended successfully and their condition is stable. They should be able to leave hospital tomorrow," the group's manager said. The male staff member, meanwhile, suffered cuts to his hand.
The 24-year-old man, Satoru Umeta, was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder. "We have started questioning the suspect this morning to know details, including his motive," a detective from Iwate prefectural police told AFP.
AKB48 has a massive fan base in Japan and other Asian countries. They are popular for their energetic, cheerful dance moves. The group's fan events as well as a concert scheduled for Monday night in Tokyo have been canceled.
- Kanye West Robbed, Computers Stolen From His Studio
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Announces Big Reveal on May 31
- Dwayne Johnson Hints at Darker Hobbs in 'Fast and Furious 8' Image
- Paul Bettany Defends Johnny Depp Amid Amber Heard's Domestic Violence Accusations
- Khloe, Kourtney Kardashian, Tyga Celebrate Scott Disick's Birthday in Vegas
- Kate Beckinsale: Michael Bay Was Baffled Because 'My Boobs Weren't Bigger Than My Head'
- 'Maze Runner 3' Pushed Back to 2018 as Dylan O'Brien Is Still on the Mend After On-Set Accident
- PND Serenades Kylie Jenner After She Called Him Out for Deleting Her on Social Media