Saw-Wielding Man Attacks Members of Japanese Group AKB48
A saw-wielding man attacked the members of AKB48 during a fan meeting over the weekend, leaving two members and a staff member injured. As reported by Reuters, the Japanese super group was shaking hands with fans in Takizawa city in northeastern Japan on Sunday, May 25 when a man attacked them with a 50-cm saw.
Two of the group members, a 19-year-old Rina Kawaei and 18-year-old Anna Iriyama, as well as a staff member were injured due to the attack. According to Japanese media, the girls received treatment for cut and broken fingers, while Iriyama additionally suffered some cuts to her face.
"The surgery ended successfully and their condition is stable. They should be able to leave hospital tomorrow," the group's manager said. The male staff member, meanwhile, suffered cuts to his hand.
The 24-year-old man, Satoru Umeta, was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder. "We have started questioning the suspect this morning to know details, including his motive," a detective from Iwate prefectural police told AFP.
AKB48 has a massive fan base in Japan and other Asian countries. They are popular for their energetic, cheerful dance moves. The group's fan events as well as a concert scheduled for Monday night in Tokyo have been canceled.
- The Flash Reunites With Jay Garrick, Teams Up With Tom Felton's Character in Season 3 Photos
- 'Doctor Strange' IMAX Trailer Unveils Avengers Ties. Also Get Details About Rachel McAdams' Role
- Donald Trump on Former Miss Universe Alicia Machado He Once Called 'Miss Piggy': She's 'the Worst'
- Amy Schumer Is First Woman to Make Forbes' List of Highest-Paid Comedians
- Justin Bieber Blows Snots on Concertgoers After Telling Fans They 'Suck'
- Denzel Washington and Viola Davis Argue Over Their Hard Lives in 'Fences' Teaser Trailer
- Netflix Debuts First Trailer for Its Ambitious Royal Drama 'The Crown'
- Did Gigi Hadid Throw Shade at Harry Styles With This Photo of Zayn Malik?