'X-Men' Knocks Down 'Godzilla' to Win Box Office on Memorial Day Weekend
"X-Men: Days of Future Past" easily beats out "Godzilla" in its first weekend. The latest installment of the Marvel mutant superhero franchise tops the domestic box office on Memorial Day weekend with an estimated $90.7 million, three days after it was released on May 23. The ensemble movie is on track to earn $110 million through Monday in the four-day holiday weekend.
Internationally, the 20th Century Fox pic rakes in $171.1 million, besting "Avatar" as the top international opening for the studio of all time. Globally, it has earned $281.1 million which marks the best opening gross of any "X-Men" film.
"This record-breaking result reflects the incredible work done by the film makers and cast on this X-Men saga, together with the passion and diligence of the new global distribution and marketing team at Fox," says Fox's Paul Hanneman, the studio's co-president of worldwide marketing and distribution.
The other newcomer making into the Top 10 this week, "Blended" which reunites "The Wedding Singer" and "50 First Dates" co-stars Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore, flops. The romcom only brings in an estimated $14.2 over the three-day weekend against its $45 million budget, adding another to the list of Sandler's worst movies in recent times.
Warners president of domestic distribution Dan Fellman says most people chose not to spend their Memorial Day weekend going to theaters in such good weather. "With the four-day weekend box office down a projected 27 percent...'Blended' was hampered form maximizing its potential. The A- CinemaScore will help grow our box office as we continue into the lucrative summer playtime," he claims.
Last week's champion "Godzilla" slips to No. 2 with additional $31.4 million, dropping 66.3% from last week. Zac Efron and Seth Rogen-starring comedy "Neighbors" falls two positions to No. 4 with approximately $13.9 million. Rounding out the Top 5 is "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" with additional $7.8 million in its fourth weekend.
- "X-Men: Days of Future Past" - $90.7 million
- "Godzilla" - $31.4 million
- "Blended" - $14.2 million
- "Neighbors" - $13.9 million
- "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" - $7.8 million
- "Million Dollar Arm" - $7.1 million
- "The Other Woman (2014)" - $3.7 million
- "Rio 2" - $2.5 million
- "Chef (2014)" - $2.3 million
- "Heaven is for Real" - $1.9 million
- 'The Predator' Release Date Pushed Back
- 'Deadpool 2' and 'New Mutants' Get Release Dates
- Video: Kylie Jenner Holding Hands With Travis Scott
- 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' and Release Date Officially Announced
- Jay-Z Renews Deal With Live Nation
- 'Avatar' Sequels Release Dates Unveiled
- Kourtney Kardashian Goes Undercover as News Reporter and Nobody Recognizes Her
- Carmelo and La La Anthony Put on United Front for Sake of Their Son