Toni Braxton Thought Son's Autism Was Her Punishment From God
Toni Braxton said her son's autism was a punishment from God. In her new memoir "Unbreak My Heart", the Grammy-winning singer stole the attention when talking about her son's autism and the abortion she had in 2001.
When writing about her 11-year-old son, Diezel Ky Braxton-Lewis, Braxton recalled the moment she thought contributed to his autism. Thirteen years ago, she had an abortion when she fell pregnant with then-boyfriend Keri Lewis. She said she was on the prescription acne medication Accutane at the time, which can cause fetal birth defects.
Having religious upbringing, the singer was ridden with guilt. "I was suddenly faced with a choice I'd never thought I'd have to make," she wrote, "Amid my major misgivings about abortion, I eventually made the gut-wrenching decision."
She continued, "In my heart, I believed I had taken a life - an action that I thought God might one day punish me for ... My initial rage was quickly followed by another strong emotion: guilt. I knew I'd taken a life ...I believed God's payback was to give my son autism."
In her memoir, Braxton also covered the topic that has been a controversy in medical world. "Maybe it's just a coincidence that after my son's first MMR vaccine, I began to notice changes in him," she wrote, noting that Diezel was communicating differently before she brought him to the hospital.
More Toni Braxton News
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences