'The Shield' Actor Michael Jace Formally Charged With Murder
Actor Michael Jace is officially charged with murder after he fatally shot his wife earlier this week. A spokesperson for the prosecutors told media on Thursday, May 22 that the former star of FX's "The Shield" was charged with one count of murder with a gun in connection to the shooting.
Jace's arraignment is scheduled for June 18 per his lawyer's request. His bail is set at $2 million. The actor may spend 50 years to life in state prison if convicted.
"He's doing as well as somebody who is in custody. It's emotional. He wants to see this through. He's just thinking about his children," Jace's lawyer Jason Sias told media outside the court.
The actor's children, who were under 10 years old, were at home when the fatal shooting took place on Monday, May 19. According to the authorities, Jace called the emergency dispatcher after the incident and admitted to the shooting. The couple's neighbors who heard gun shots also called 911.
According to CNN, the results of a preliminary autopsy to April Jace's body show that she died from "multiple gunshot wounds." Deputy Chief Coroner Ed Wintera additionally said that the death was ruled a homicide. So far, there is no info regarding the motive of the shooting.
Previously, Jace's former wife Jennifer Bitterman said in a court document regarding a 2004 custody case that the actor used "intimidation style of discipline" on their son Jordan, who is now a teenager. A woman named Maria De Le Vegas who claimed to be a close friend with Bitterman also said that she saw Jace "choked and hit" Bitterman and "slammed her against the wall while (their infant son) screamed in his crib next to her" in 1997.
A different account was shared by Shirley Harding who lives next door. Harding told The Associated Press that she saw no signs of domestic violence, explaining, "I never heard arguments. I just heard happiness over there."
- Solange Announces New Album 'A Seat at the Table', Reveals Tracklist
- Viola Davis to Lead All-Female Heist Movie From '12 Years a Slave' Director Steve McQueen
- Nick Jonas Gets Cozy With Bikini Hottie in Hawaii
- Brad Pitt Bails on Movie Screening to Focus on 'Family Situation' Amid Angelina Jolie Divorce
- 'The Strain' Renewed for Fourth and Final Season
- Justin Theroux Slams Media for Thrusting Jennifer Aniston Into Brangelina's Divorce
- Gigi Hadid on Fighting Off Her Attacker in Milan: 'I Felt I Was in Danger'
- Video Premiere: Hailee Steinfeld's 'Starving' Ft. Zedd