David S. Goyer Rips Martian Manhunter and She-Hulk
David S. Goyer doesn't think making movies about Martian Manhunter and She-Hulk is a good idea. The screenwriter/director explains his thoughts during an interview for Scriptnotes podcast on a panel with other superhero/fantasy screenwriters like Christopher Markus ("Captain America: The Winter Soldier") and Andrea Berloff ("Conan the Barbarian").
Manhunter, a DC Comics property, is an alien who disguises his identity by posing as a detective working for the Metropolis police department. "How many people in the audience have heard of Martian Manhunter?" Goyer asks, before throwing shades at the fanboys, "How many people that raised their hands have ever been laid?"
"Well, he hasn't been rebooted but he's a mainstay in the Justice League," the "Man of Steel" scribe explains. "He can't be f**king called the Martian Manhunter because that's goofy. He can be called Manhunter... The whole deal with Martian Manhunter is he's an alien living amongst us..."
"So he comes down to Earth and decides, unlike Superman who already exists in the world now, that he's just going to be a homicide detective... So instead of using super-powers and mind-reading and like, oh, I could figure out if the President's lying or whatever, he just decides to disguise himself as a human homicide detective. Dare to dream!"
Goyer also has some interesting comment when the interviewer calls the female version of Marvel's green monster Hulk "Sl*t-Hulk." He says, "I have a theory about She-Hulk. Which was created by a man, right? And at the time in particular I think 95% of comic book readers were men and certainly almost all of the comic book writers were men. So the Hulk was this classic male power fantasy."
"It's like, most of the people reading comic books were these people like me who were just these little kids getting the shit kicked out of them every day... And so then they created She-Huk, right? Who was still smart... I think She-Hulk is the chick that you could f**k if you were Hulk, you know what I'm saying? ... She-Hulk was the extension of the male power fantasy."
"So it's like if I'm going to be this geek who becomes the Hulk then let's create a giant green porn star that only the Hulk could f**k."
- Nina Dobrev Reveals She Accidentally Exposed Her Genitals During Bikini-Clad Photoshoot
- Nicki Minaj and Meek Mill Apparently Only Fake Their Breakup
- NFL Bans Lady GaGa From Talking About Politics at Super Bowl
- Bella Hadid's 'Hurt and Pissed' The Weeknd Moves On So Fast With Selena Gomez
- Jessica Biel's Thriller 'The Sinner' Gets Series Order at USA Network
- Chelsea Handler Blames the Kardashians for Donald Trump's Election Win. Here's Why
- Lamar Odom Apologizes to Ex Khloe for Her 'Wasted Time and Energy' in Emotional Interview
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character