Mike Myers 'Proud' Standing Next to Kanye West During George Bush Diss
Mike Myers stood behind Kanye West's back in the rapper's controversial comment about George Bush's presidency during Hurricane Katrina crisis. The actor recalled the day he stood beside West when the rapper said, "George Bush doesn't care about black people."
The 2005 telethon to support the victims of Hurricane quickly became national talks when West ignored the teleprompter and made an impromptu criticism against U.S.'s president at that time. Bush later responded in an interview with Matt Lauer, saying, "He called me a racist. And I didn't appreciate it then. I don't appreciate it now. It's one thing to say, 'I don't appreciate the way he's handled his business.' It's another thing to say, 'This man's a racist.' I resent it, it's not true."
In the June issue of GQ magazine, Myers recalled, "I went there specifically because I wanted to help the Red Cross. I was supposed to be by myself, and I was like 'fine,' then they said 'Do you mind doing it with somebody else?' And I always remembered that Live Aid thing of 'leave your egos at the door,' so I said, 'Sure, of course.' And they said, 'Would you do it with Kanye West?' and I said, 'Uh sure.' "
The 50-year-old star then admitted, "I actually wasn't familiar with his work. And then he said he was going to take some liberties with the thing ...But I didn't know that the liberty would be calling out the president." Although looking slightly nervous, Myers was seen nodding lightly as West went off script. "I'm, like, super proud to have been next to him," Myers told GQ. "The look on my face is ... to be honest with you, I thought I handled it well."
He continued, "For me it isn't about the look of embarrassment on my face, it is truly about the injustice that was happening in New Orleans. I don't mind answering the question but the emphasis of it being that I'm the guy next to the guy who spoke a truth."
More Mike Myers News
- Kylie Jenner Asks Tyga to Move Back Into Her House
- Rihanna Is Unhappy Kanye West Put Her in Bed With Donald Trump and George W. Bush in 'Famous' Video
- Iggy Azalea Gets Thanked for 'Ruining Hip-Hop.' See Her Reaction
- Winona Ryder Defends Ex Johnny Depp Against Amber Heard's Abuse Allegations
- 'Star Trek Beyond' New Trailer: Captain Kirk Makes His Last Report
- Tyrese Gibson Confirms Return to 'Transformers: The Last Knight'
- Chris Brown Sued by Suge Knight Over 2014 Club Shooting. What's Breezy's Fault?
- Taylor Swift Tells Her Friends She's 'in Love' With Tom Hiddleston as Couple Enjoy Roman Holiday