J.J. Abrams Gives Fans Chance to Appear in 'Star Wars Episode VII'
J.J. Abrams sent a message from Abu Dhabi to update fans on the filming of "Star Wars Episode VII". He introduced an initiative called "Star Wars: Force for Change" to raise funds and awareness for UNICEF's Innovation Labs and its programs benefiting children in need.
"Like a lot of you, I've been a 'Star Wars' fan since I was a kid, so it's truly a surreal thing to be working on this movie. I can't believe it," Abrams said in the video. And then he extended an invitation to fans, saying, "We would like to invite you to be part of the fun here. We want to put you in the movie."
For every $10 donated to the campaign, fans are automatically entered into a contest to appear in the film. Five winners will be flown to London and shoot his or her scene at Pinewoods Studios. Beside on-screen appearance, the lucky fans will go behind the scenes of the movie's set, meet the cast and get a transformation into a character of the film by the makeup and costume teams.
Contest has begun and will end on July 18 midnight. Those who did not win but contribute more will be given assorted gifts at various levels such as R2-D2 T-shirt, a peek at some "Episode VII" concept art and signed copy of the script.
UNICEF's Innovation Labs are working on technological fixes for children in remote or troubled regions such as China, the Philippines, Uganda, Burundi and Zambia. Disney, which owns Lucasfilm, has committed $1 million to the cause.
"Star Wars Episode VII" is scheduled to hit theaters across the nation on December 18, 2015. According to THR, the filming in Abu Dhabi is aimed to re-create the desert planet Tatooine, which was the home of Anakin and Luke Skywalker as well as the headquarters of Jabba the Hutt.
More Star Wars: The Force Awakens News
- Fifth Harmony's Ally Brooke Falls After Ambushed by Fan on Stage
- Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds Welcome Their Second Child
- Producer Says Daniel Craig Is Still the 'First Choice' for Next James Bond Movie
- All One Directioners, Except Zayn Malik, Congratulate Niall Horan on His First Solo Single
- Megan Fox Steps Out for First Time Since Giving Birth to Her Third Child
- Amber Rose Says Julianne Hough Body Shamed Her With Her 'DWTS' Comment
- 'Wonder Woman' Writer Confirms Diana Prince Is 'Obviously' Bisexual
- Tyga May Have His Mom's Car Repossessed