Coen Brothers to Write Steven Spielberg's Cold War Thriller Starring Tom Hanks
The untitled Cold War movie that is expected to reunite director Steven Spielberg and actor Tom Hanks has found a new writer. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Joel and Ethan Coen are tapped to pen a draft of the screenplay for the thriller. Matt Charman was previously attached to handle the script.
The film is set during the height of political tensions between the U.S. and Russia. It's based on the true story of American attorney, James Donovan, enlisted by CIA to negotiate the release of a pilot, Gary Powers, who was captured after his U-2 spy plane was shot down over Russia.
The Coen brothers, a multiple Oscar-winning duo, directed "Inside Llewyn Davis" last year and penned Angelina Jolie's "Unbroken" due later this year. Hanks starred in two notable films last year, "Captain Phillips" and "Saving Mr. Banks", and will star in "A Hologram for the King" next.
Spielberg, meanwhile, is pursuing sci-fi tentpole "Robopocalypse" and Aztec drama "Montezuma". He is also eying "The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara", a true-story drama about a 6-year-old Jewish boy who was forcefully removed from his parents' home to be raised as a Catholic, and is attached to direct an adaptation of Roald Dahl's children's story "The BFG".
Hanks and Spielberg previously worked together in "Saving Private Ryan" (1998), "Catch Me If You Can" (2002), and "The Terminal" (2004). They also joined forces to produce critically-acclaimed 2001 mini-series "Band of Brothers". The actor also once starred in the Coen brothers' 2004 film "The Ladykillers".
- Most Brutal Celebrity vs Paparazzi Fights
- Are 'Riverdale' Stars Cole Sprouse and Lili Reinhart Dating?
- 'Ant-Man and the Wasp': Evangeline Lilly Reacts to Michelle Pfeiffer's Casting as Her On-Screen Mom
- Celebrity Police Unit to Be Discontinued Following Big Bang's T.O.P's Marijuana Scandal
- Cara Delevingne Says She Wants to Be James Bond Amid Bond Girl Rumors
- Johnny Depp Demands Claim He Has 'Psychological Issues' Removed From Court Record
- Cheeky! Emily Ratajkowski Flashes Ample Cleavage in Polka Dot Outfit
- Stephen Colbert Mocks Anthony Scaramucci Hiring as New White House Press Secretary