Alfonso Cuaron to Direct Harry Potter Spin-Off 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them'
Alfonso Cuaron is reportedly "deep in talks" to direct the first upcoming Harry Potter spin-off. According to Nikki Finke, the director who helmed 2001's "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" will be back behind the lens for another adaptation of J.K. Rowling's story "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them".
The movie is planned to hit theaters on November 18, 2016. It aims at launching a new trilogy, with two sequels expected to follow. The first installment will be written by Rowling herself based on the Hogwarts textbook of the same title which features Newt Scamander, the schoolbook's fictitious author in the Potterverse.
The movie is set years before the events of the "Harry Potter". It's neither a prequel nor a sequel to the Harry Potter series, but an extension of the wizarding world. The laws and customs of the hidden magical society will be familiar to the Harry Potter fans, but Newt's story will start in New York, seventy years before Harry's.
More Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them News
- Here's What Blac Chyna Thinks of Kylie Jenner Playing Step Mom to King Cairo
- 'Mr. Robot' 2.09 Preview: It's Time to Go Home
- Lady GaGa's New Song 'Perfect Illusion' Reportedly due Out Next Week
- Three Potential Directors Lined Up to Helm 'Captain Marvel'
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Maksim Chmerkovskiy Will Return, Ryan Lochte Is in Talks for Season 23
- Justin Bieber Reunites With Sofia Richie for Her Birthday After Partying With Bronte Blampied
- Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj to Perform 'Side to Side' at 2016 MTV VMAs
- Inside Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom's Proposal Plans