Alfonso Cuaron to Direct Harry Potter Spin-Off 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them'
Alfonso Cuaron is reportedly "deep in talks" to direct the first upcoming Harry Potter spin-off. According to Nikki Finke, the director who helmed 2001's "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" will be back behind the lens for another adaptation of J.K. Rowling's story "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them".
The movie is planned to hit theaters on November 18, 2016. It aims at launching a new trilogy, with two sequels expected to follow. The first installment will be written by Rowling herself based on the Hogwarts textbook of the same title which features Newt Scamander, the schoolbook's fictitious author in the Potterverse.
The movie is set years before the events of the "Harry Potter". It's neither a prequel nor a sequel to the Harry Potter series, but an extension of the wizarding world. The laws and customs of the hidden magical society will be familiar to the Harry Potter fans, but Newt's story will start in New York, seventy years before Harry's.
More Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them News
- Mick Jagger, 73, Welcomes Baby Boy With 30-Year-Old Girlfriend Melanie Hamrick
- Watch 'Carpool Karaoke' With Madonna and Find Out Juicy Detail of Her Night Out With Michael Jackson
- Major Lazer Mashes Up Biggest Hits of the Year for YouTube Rewind 2016 Video
- John Cena Promises to Destroy 'Saturday Night Live' in New Promo
- Katy Perry Joins Jennifer Aniston at 'Office Christmas Party' L.A. Premiere
- Kardashian Sisters Try to Block Blac Chyna From Trademarking Their Family Name. How She Reacts?
- Nick Cannon Hits Back at Dane Cook Who Shamed Him for Wearing Turban
- Johnny Depp Dubbed Hollywood's Most Overpaid Actor Again by Forbes