Macklemore Denied Mocking Jewish With Stage Costume
Macklemore has responded to the controversy that was triggered by the costume he wore while performing in Seattle on Friday, May 16. The rapper got up on stage for a secret show in his hometown in an attire which is deemed an offensive stereotype of Jewish.
During his set with Ryan Lewis at the opening of "Spectacle: The Music Video" at EMP Museum, Macklemore was almost unrecognized with a wig, fake beard and a large prosthetic nose. He reportedly did not make any reference to the getup during the performance.
Some people took to Twitter to criticize his choice of costume, including Jewish actor Seth Rogen who wrote, "@macklemore, first you trick people into thinking you're a rapper, now you trick them into thinking you're Jewish?" Rapper Jensen Karp tweeted, "What makes Macklemore's anti-Semitic costume even crazier is that his biggest song is about saving money."
In his defense, Macklemore tweeted on Sunday, "A fake witches nose, wig, and beard = random costume. Not my idea of a stereotype of anybody."
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis' next show is scheduled for May 25 in Las Vegas. It is unclear whether he will retain the costume for the gig.
- Super Junior's Kyuhyun Seen for the First Time Since Military Enlistment - See the Pic
- Kourtney Kardashian Bares Her Bum in Thong Bikini - See the Racy Pic
- Lily Collins Shares Cute Throwback Pic and Fans Just Can't Handle It
- 'America's Got Talent' Season 12 First Look: Tyra Banks Makes Debut as New Host
- PSY Proves He Hasn't Changed at All as He Shares Funny Childhood Photo
- Mariah Carey Flaunts Ample Cleavage as She Cuddles Up to Bryan Tanaka
- Paris Hilton Gushes Over Romance With Chris Zylka: 'I'm in a Serious Relationship'
- 'The Emoji Movie' Defeats 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' in Social Media Buzz