Macklemore Denied Mocking Jewish With Stage Costume
Macklemore has responded to the controversy that was triggered by the costume he wore while performing in Seattle on Friday, May 16. The rapper got up on stage for a secret show in his hometown in an attire which is deemed an offensive stereotype of Jewish.
During his set with Ryan Lewis at the opening of "Spectacle: The Music Video" at EMP Museum, Macklemore was almost unrecognized with a wig, fake beard and a large prosthetic nose. He reportedly did not make any reference to the getup during the performance.
Some people took to Twitter to criticize his choice of costume, including Jewish actor Seth Rogen who wrote, "@macklemore, first you trick people into thinking you're a rapper, now you trick them into thinking you're Jewish?" Rapper Jensen Karp tweeted, "What makes Macklemore's anti-Semitic costume even crazier is that his biggest song is about saving money."
In his defense, Macklemore tweeted on Sunday, "A fake witches nose, wig, and beard = random costume. Not my idea of a stereotype of anybody."
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis' next show is scheduled for May 25 in Las Vegas. It is unclear whether he will retain the costume for the gig.
- Nicki Minaj Teases Music Video for David Guetta's 'Light My Body Up' With On-Set Photo
- Watch Little Mix's Dreamy Cover of Rihanna's 'Love on the Brain'
- 'Walking Dead' Alum Steven Yeun and Wife Joana Pak Share First Photo of Their Newborn Baby
- Mama June Feels 'Like Frankenstein' After Skin Removal Surgery. Is She Giving Up?
- Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani 'Torn Apart' by Her 'Flirtation' With 'The Voice' Contestant
- Katy Perry Reportedly Still Loves John Mayer. Will They Rekindle Their Romance?
- Trey Songz Slams Nicki Minaj: She Ain't Had S**t Before Me
- Han Solo Movie Adds 'Sing Street' Star Ian Kenny