Macklemore Denied Mocking Jewish With Stage Costume
Macklemore has responded to the controversy that was triggered by the costume he wore while performing in Seattle on Friday, May 16. The rapper got up on stage for a secret show in his hometown in an attire which is deemed an offensive stereotype of Jewish.
During his set with Ryan Lewis at the opening of "Spectacle: The Music Video" at EMP Museum, Macklemore was almost unrecognized with a wig, fake beard and a large prosthetic nose. He reportedly did not make any reference to the getup during the performance.
Some people took to Twitter to criticize his choice of costume, including Jewish actor Seth Rogen who wrote, "@macklemore, first you trick people into thinking you're a rapper, now you trick them into thinking you're Jewish?" Rapper Jensen Karp tweeted, "What makes Macklemore's anti-Semitic costume even crazier is that his biggest song is about saving money."
In his defense, Macklemore tweeted on Sunday, "A fake witches nose, wig, and beard = random costume. Not my idea of a stereotype of anybody."
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis' next show is scheduled for May 25 in Las Vegas. It is unclear whether he will retain the costume for the gig.
- Lee Sung Kyung and Nam Joo Hyuk Are Reportedly Dating
- Jenna Dewan Reportedly Joins Channing Tatum at 'Magic Mike Live' Premiere Due to Trust Issues
- Watch Preview of Ty Dolla $ign and Lil Yachty's Collaboration for 'Beach House 3'
- George and Amal Clooney Reportedly to Spend Over $1 M on a Royal-Like Delivery Experience
- 'Delusional' Drake Is Still Not Over Rihanna, but She Won't Give Him Another Chance
- Perrie Edwards Celebrates Footballer Beau Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain's Win With a Dance
- Kris Jenner Reportedly Planning New Reality Show Featuring Her Grandkids
- Sara Sampaio Exposes Nipples in See-Through Bustier