Macklemore Denied Mocking Jewish With Stage Costume
Macklemore has responded to the controversy that was triggered by the costume he wore while performing in Seattle on Friday, May 16. The rapper got up on stage for a secret show in his hometown in an attire which is deemed an offensive stereotype of Jewish.
During his set with Ryan Lewis at the opening of "Spectacle: The Music Video" at EMP Museum, Macklemore was almost unrecognized with a wig, fake beard and a large prosthetic nose. He reportedly did not make any reference to the getup during the performance.
Some people took to Twitter to criticize his choice of costume, including Jewish actor Seth Rogen who wrote, "@macklemore, first you trick people into thinking you're a rapper, now you trick them into thinking you're Jewish?" Rapper Jensen Karp tweeted, "What makes Macklemore's anti-Semitic costume even crazier is that his biggest song is about saving money."
In his defense, Macklemore tweeted on Sunday, "A fake witches nose, wig, and beard = random costume. Not my idea of a stereotype of anybody."
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis' next show is scheduled for May 25 in Las Vegas. It is unclear whether he will retain the costume for the gig.
More Macklemore News
- Taylor Swift Won't Come to MTV VMAs 2016 as Kanye West Is Given Free Reign on Stage
- Lamar Odom Caught Partying With Scantily-Clad Ladies at Strip Club and Smoking Marijuana
- Watch First Trailer for Sundance Hit 'Manchester by the Sea' Starring Casey Affleck
- I'm Guilty! 'Obsessed' Kim Kardashian Admits She Steals Things From Hotels
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Already Have Their First 'Major' Fight - What Is It About?
- Is The Flash Coming to 'Big Bang Theory'?
- Miley Cyrus Reportedly Pays for Everything in Her Relationship With Liam Hemsworth
- Prince William Says He Still Misses Princess Diana Every Day and We Can't Help Tearing Up