Macklemore Denied Mocking Jewish With Stage Costume
Macklemore has responded to the controversy that was triggered by the costume he wore while performing in Seattle on Friday, May 16. The rapper got up on stage for a secret show in his hometown in an attire which is deemed an offensive stereotype of Jewish.
During his set with Ryan Lewis at the opening of "Spectacle: The Music Video" at EMP Museum, Macklemore was almost unrecognized with a wig, fake beard and a large prosthetic nose. He reportedly did not make any reference to the getup during the performance.
Some people took to Twitter to criticize his choice of costume, including Jewish actor Seth Rogen who wrote, "@macklemore, first you trick people into thinking you're a rapper, now you trick them into thinking you're Jewish?" Rapper Jensen Karp tweeted, "What makes Macklemore's anti-Semitic costume even crazier is that his biggest song is about saving money."
In his defense, Macklemore tweeted on Sunday, "A fake witches nose, wig, and beard = random costume. Not my idea of a stereotype of anybody."
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis' next show is scheduled for May 25 in Las Vegas. It is unclear whether he will retain the costume for the gig.
- Kim Kardashian Endorses Hillary Clinton, Shuts Down Rumor That She Votes for Donald Trump
- Angelina Jolie and Her Kids Move Into Rental House Amid Brad Pitt Divorce
- Find Out the Gender of Olivia Wilde's Second Child With Jason Sudeikis!
- Orlando Bloom and Malin Akerman Have Steamy Threesome on Netflix's 'Easy'
- Megan Hilty and Brian Gallagher Expecting Their Second Child
- Marion Cotillard's Partner Breaks Silence on Brad Pitt Affair Rumors
- Julia Roberts to Play PTA Mom Framed for Drug Possession in True-Story Movie
- Pippa Middleton's Private Photos Stolen After Her iCloud Got Hacked