Director on Plan to Make Movie About Missing Malaysian Plane: We're Not Cashing In on the Flight
While many have deemed it's insensitive to make a movie about missing Malaysian plane which has not been found, director Rupesh Paul refuses to back away from his plan. The Indian filmmaker has defended his decision to depict the tragedy in a big-screen project titled "The Vanishing Act", which has sparked controversy since it's pitched at this year's Cannes Film Festival.
Claiming that "no one has complained yet," he says the film "will not affect any passengers' families." He insists that his movie will be a standalone thriller despite including references to the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370, telling The Hollywood Reporter, "It will not be based on stupid things. There will not be a [gun] and there will not be any aliens."
"The controversy will help indirectly, but we are not cashing in on the flight," he adds, denying that he exploits the tragedy. "People do not want a documentary, they want a thriller," he continues, explaining his decision about the creative direction of the project. "Why should I make a movie on anything that does not attract people?"
Claiming that there have been interest in Asian markets, he boasts, "We have interest from Malaysian and Chinese companies for co-productions. The Malaysian company approached me, I didn't approach them."
"The Vanishing Act" was promoted at Cannes with the logline "The untold story of the vanished Malaysian flight." A trailer for the movie teases an intrigue and affair in the cabin before the plane crashes. Paul plans to release it in August.
- Is Gwen Stefani Pregnant With Blake Shelton's Child?
- See a Glimpse of Gru and Dru's Past in New 'Despicable Me 3' Trailer
- Kylie Jenner Flaunts Ample Cleavage in Plunging Mesh Top in New Selfie
- Justin Bieber Forgets 'Despacito' Spanish Lyrics, Sings 'Blah, Blah, Blah' Instead
- Fans Loath ABC's 'Dirty Dancing' Remake - See the Hilarious Memes
- Kourtney Kardashian Flaunts Butt as She Enjoys Jet Ski Ride With Younes Bendjima
- New Couple Alert! Bow Wow Reportedly Dating This Blonde Reality Star
- The First Heart-Wrenching Trailer of 'Wonder' Sees Julia Roberts, Owen Wilson and Jacob Tremblay