Artist of the Week: Coldplay
Three years after putting out their "Mylo Xyloto", Coldplay returns to the music scene with a new album titled "Ghost Stories". The record, which was made available for streaming on iTunes prior to its official May 19 U.S. release date, has impressed many music critics thanks in part to frontman Chris Martin's recent split from Gwyneth Paltrow.
Martin and his actress wife, who have been married for 10 years, announced their "conscious uncoupling" back in March. In a recent interview, the singer revealed that the issues in his marriage with the "Iron Man 3" star had inspired many songs in his group's new LP.
"Up to a certain point in my life I wasn't completely vulnerable and it caused some problems," he told BBC Radio 1's Zane Lowe. "If you don't let love really in then you can't really give it back. So what 'Ghost Stories' means to me is like, you've got to open yourself up to love and if you really do, of course it will be painful at times, but then it will be great at some point."
"I think in life everyone needs to be broken in some way," the 37-year-old vocalist added. "I think everyone in their life goes through challenges, whether it's love or money, kids or illness. You have to really not run away from that stuff. Life throws these colorful challenges at you... What we decided to do on 'Ghost Stories' was to really be honest about it and say, this is what's been happening."
"Ghost Stories" will mark Coldplay's sixth studio effort. The British band has promoted the LP by performing on "Saturday Night Live" and asking fans to find the lyrics of "Ghost Stories" songs that were hidden in nine libraries across the world.
The record has so far been preceded by singles "Magic", "Midnight" and "A Sky Full of Stars". The latter single was co-written by Avicii and was released earlier this month. It has so far peaked at No. 24 on Billboard 100 and at No. 5 on Billboard's Hot Rock Songs.
More Coldplay News
- Wait... What? Is Tiger Woods Saying He Doesn't Regret Cheating on Elin Nordegren?
- Marvel Pulls 'Invincible Iron Man' Cover After Accusations of 'Sexualizing' Its Underage Hero
- No More Sexy Selfies? Kim Kardashian Is Re-Emerging 'More Covered Up' and 'Less Make-Up'
- Drake Hints at Releasing New Music on His 30th Birthday. Get Details on His Celebration
- Blac Chyna Pokes Fun at Her Pregnancy Curves, Compares Herself to a Pokemon
- Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal's Love Turns to Hatred in 'Nocturnal Animals' First Full Trailer
- Jay-Z and Beyonce Are Both Upset With 'Nut Job' Kanye West Following His Rant
- Justin Bieber Scolds Concertgoers for Screaming at Manchester Show