Artist of the Week: Coldplay
Three years after putting out their "Mylo Xyloto", Coldplay returns to the music scene with a new album titled "Ghost Stories". The record, which was made available for streaming on iTunes prior to its official May 19 U.S. release date, has impressed many music critics thanks in part to frontman Chris Martin's recent split from Gwyneth Paltrow.
Martin and his actress wife, who have been married for 10 years, announced their "conscious uncoupling" back in March. In a recent interview, the singer revealed that the issues in his marriage with the "Iron Man 3" star had inspired many songs in his group's new LP.
"Up to a certain point in my life I wasn't completely vulnerable and it caused some problems," he told BBC Radio 1's Zane Lowe. "If you don't let love really in then you can't really give it back. So what 'Ghost Stories' means to me is like, you've got to open yourself up to love and if you really do, of course it will be painful at times, but then it will be great at some point."
"I think in life everyone needs to be broken in some way," the 37-year-old vocalist added. "I think everyone in their life goes through challenges, whether it's love or money, kids or illness. You have to really not run away from that stuff. Life throws these colorful challenges at you... What we decided to do on 'Ghost Stories' was to really be honest about it and say, this is what's been happening."
"Ghost Stories" will mark Coldplay's sixth studio effort. The British band has promoted the LP by performing on "Saturday Night Live" and asking fans to find the lyrics of "Ghost Stories" songs that were hidden in nine libraries across the world.
The record has so far been preceded by singles "Magic", "Midnight" and "A Sky Full of Stars". The latter single was co-written by Avicii and was released earlier this month. It has so far peaked at No. 24 on Billboard 100 and at No. 5 on Billboard's Hot Rock Songs.
More Coldplay News
- Chris Brown Sued for Allegedly Stealing a Fan's Hat at Concert
- Listen to Previews of Justin Bieber's Remix of Drake's 'One Dance'
- Take a Look at Ciara's Exotic Vacation in Mexico With Russell Wilson and Son Future
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's Daughter Impressed With His Tattoo
- Artist of the Week: Fifth Harmony
- Johnny Depp Is 'Blackmailed' by 'Manipulative' Amber Heard, Says Friend Doug Stanhope
- Kim Kardashian Shows Off Her Curves in Cleavage-Baring Dress During Lunch With Kanye West
- 'Game of Thrones' 6.07 Preview: More Unexpected Returns