'Godzilla' Sequel Officially Underway After Big Box Office Debut
The success of "Godzilla" in the box office prompted Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros. to launch a second movie. The news that a sequel is already underway has been confirmed to a couple of news outlets including Deadline.
The movie directed by Gareth Edwards opened with an estimated $93.2 million in the U.S. box office and $103 million internationally. It became the second biggest opening weekend of 2014 behind the $95 million opening of "Captain America: The Winter Soldier".
"It's very validating," Legendary president and chief creative officer Jon Jashni told Variety. "You can't ask for a better situation when you have a group of people, who were perhaps expecting to be let down were impressed. It all lines up when that eco-system aligns and starts feeding off itself."
Jashni said the plan to have a franchise was always there. "Our initial goal was to re-brand and re-establish the property in a Tiffany way," Jashni said. "Now, we're trying to take in all of the results of the weekend."
Back at the film's screening at the TCL Chinese Theater in Hollywood on May 1, Legendary's Thomas Tull said about a sequel, "If this comes out and works well, we'll figure it out."
Although he played coy about the sequel, Gareth himself had revealed what he wanted to do for the sequel. According to Deadline, he would "use the same kind of restraint that he did for this one." It is yet unclear whether Gareth will return for the sequel
- Khloe Kardashian Claims Lamar Odom's New Romance Is Only a Way to Get Her Attention
- Mila Kunis Gives Her Parents a Surprise Home Makeover
- 'The Flash' 3.20 Promo: Savitar Will Be Unmasked in 'I Know Who You Are'
- Victim's Relative Says Chris Soules Fatal Car Crash 'Was Just a Freak Accident'
- Tarek El Moussa and Christina Put Divorce on Hold to Focus on Their Show
- Kendra Wilkinson Is Slammed by Farrah Abraham on 'Marriage Boot Camp' Promo
- Caitlyn Jenner Claps Back at Kris Jenner Over Harsh Comment About Caitlyn's New Memoir
- HyunA Gets Slammed for Saying That Skin Exposure on Stage Should Be Justified