Billboard Music Awards 2014: Justin Timberlake Among Early Winners
The 2014 Billboard Music Awards was kicked off at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Sunday, May 18 with Pitbull and Jennifer Lopez teaming up to perform the official World Cup song, "We Are One (Ole-Ola)". Host Ludacris later took over the show, appearing in a dapper suit and telling the crowd that they were "about to watch the Billboard charts come to life."
Invited to the stage as the first winner of the evening was Imagine Dragons. The Las Vegas-based band claimed the Top Rock Album award for their acclaimed LP, "Night Visions". After receiving their trophy from Shania Twain, they said, "Thank you to radio for playing us! This is an incredible honor."
After a dazzling performance from Shakira, Lucy Hale presented Justin Timberlake with the Top Billboard 200 Album award for his double album "The 20/20 Experience - The Complete Experience". The former NSYNC member, who couldn't attend the event, thanked everyone by singing "Thank You" in a video message.
Lorde later came out as a winner in Top New Artist category. Winning over fellow new artist including Ariana Grande, the "Royals" hitmakes accepted her trophy from Carrie Underwood. "I've written what I want to say on my phone, because I don't want to screw it up, the humble star said during her speech.
The BMAs is currently airing on ABC. More winners will be announced as the annual awards show unfolds.
- Drama 'Super Family' Is Under Fire for Using Jessica Jung's Name as a Deceased
- Orlando Bloom Spotted Having Dinner With Mysterious Brunette
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' New Season 3 Promo Shows How Brutal Survival Is
- Orlando Bloom Broke Noomi Rapace's Nose on 'Unlocked' Filming Set
- 'X-Men' TV Pilot 'Gifted' Reveals First Look at Stan Lee Cameo
- Travis Scott Dating Kylie Jenner Is Career Suicide, His Pals Think
- Not Pleased With Her Body, Kendall Jenner Is Dying to Be Like Emily Ratajkowski
- Nicki Minaj to Release a Surprise Project on Tidal