'Godzilla' Has Monster Opening on Domestic Box Office With $93 Million
Legendary Entertainment earned its second number one movie at the box office this year through "Godzilla". The refurbished version of 1950s Japanese Kaiju classic opened at number one in domestic theaters this weekend with $93.2 million, surpassing its $70 million expectation.
Statistically, the Gareth Edwards-directed film scored some accolades on the box office. It currently has the second biggest opening weekend of 2014 behind the $95 million opening of "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" and ahead of the $91 million debut of "The Amazing Spider-Man 2". It is also the sixth biggest debut weekend for a non-sequel. Internationally, "Godzilla" has the biggest opening of the year with $103 million.
"It was a monster opening for 'Godzilla' with the numbers coming in well over expectations, Boloomberg Industries analyst Paul Sweeney said. "Hollywood has learned that the success of these tentpole films have to play well at home and globally, and 'Godzilla' is the type of film that is embraced around the world." The film was made on $160 million, Legendary's second big-budget movie after last summer's "Pacific Rim".
Elsewhere in the weekend box office, former champ "Neighbors" continued to perform well by earning $25.9 million, followed by "Amazing Spider-Man 2" with $16.8 million. Jon Hamm's sports drama "Million Dollar Arm" debuted at number four with $10.5 million. Fifth placer "The Other Woman (2014)" added $6.3 million in its fourth weekend at the box office.
Both "Godzilla" and "Amazing Spider-Man 2" will face a stiff competition next week with the release of "X-Men: Days of Future Past" in theaters.
- "Godzilla" - $93.2 million
- "Neighbors" - $25.9 million
- "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" - $16.8 million
- "Million Dollar Arm" - $10.5 million
- "The Other Woman (2014)" - $6.3 million
- "Heaven is for Real" - $4.4 million
- "Rio 2" - $3.8 million
- "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" - $3.7 million
- "Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return" - $1.9 million
- "Moms' Night Out" - $1.9 million
- New 'Luke Cage' Trailer Reveals Surprise Cameos
- Jessica Simpson's Marriage in Trouble? She and Husband Reportedly 'Fighting Non-Stop' for Months
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Recap: Which Pairs Win Immunity in Face-Off Week?
- Rob Kardashian Tweets Kylie's Number as He Blasts His Family for Snubbing Blac Chyna
- Report: Drake Is Actually Gay and His Rihanna Romance Is Fake
- Tom Holland Spotted Filming 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' in NYC Subway
- Audrina Patridge Shares Sweet Photo of Her Breastfeeding Her Daughter
- 'Will and Grace' Stars Reunite for Hillary Clinton Endorsement Video