Hospitalized Deryck Whibley Says He Nearly Died Due to Alcohol Addiction
Deryck Whibley was hospitalized due to severe alcohol abuse. The Sum 41 frontman opened up about his illness on his official website and revealed his addiction in the process. He said his hard drinking habit almost killed him. Now the 34-year-old rocker swears off alcohol.
"Sorry i've been so m.i.a. lately, but i've been very sick in the hospital for a month and was pretty sick for a few weeks leading up to my trip to the hospital," he began his post. "The reason i got so sick is from all the hard boozing I've been doing over the years. it finally caught up to me."
"I was drinking hard every day. until one night. i was sitting at home, poured myself another drink around mid night and was about to watch a movie when all of a sudden i didn't feel so good. i then collapsed to the ground unconscious," he recalled.
"My fiance got me rushed to the hospital where they put me into the intensive care unit. i was stuck with needles and i.v.'s all over. i was completely sedated the FIRST WEEK. when i finally woke up the next day i had no idea where i was," he continued.
"My mum and step dad were standing over me. i was so freaked out. my liver and kidney's collapsed on me. needless to say it scared me straight. i finally realized i can't drink anymore. if i have one drink the doc's say i will die. I'm not preaching or anything but just always drink responsibly. i didn't, and look where that got me."
"Anyway i have my passion and inspiration back for writing music. i already have a few song ideas for new songs. soon it will be time to start making an album and getting back to touring again. see you all sometime! there will be more posts again so say up to date friends," he concluded.
His former wife, Avril Lavigne, has reached out to him after learning about his near-fatal health scare and she sends prayer for him. "Hope you get well soon! @sum41 #StayStrongDeryck," she tweeted. "Spoke to @Sum41 Deryck today. I am so proud of him. He is family to me and always will be. #StayStrongDeryck."
- Listen to David Guetta's 'Light My Body Up' Feat. Nicki Minaj and Lil Wayne
- Report: Friends Fear for Lisa Rinna's Life as She Takes Pills to Stay Thin
- Gwyneth Paltrow Talks Anal Sex: 'It's Practically Standard in the Modern Bedroom Repertoire'
- Fashion Fail! Caitlyn Jenner Suffers Wardrobe Malfunction as She Exposes Her Bra in Sheer Top
- Amy Schumer Drops Out of 'Barbie' Live-Action Movie
- CBS Renews 16 Series for 2017-2018 Season - Find Out Which Show Makes the Cut
- Rihanna Is Reportedly Not Surprised With Drake's New Sade Tattoo. Find Out Why
- It's Finally Here! Zayn Malik Releases New Single 'Still Got Time' Ft. PARTYNEXTDOOR