Babyface Reportedly Changes Wedding Venue to Protest Sultan of Brunei
Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds reportedly has switched his wedding venue following controversy over Shariah penal code enforced by the Sultan of Brunei. The Sultan recently announced that he would continue applying Islamic law which imposes heavy penalties such as death by stoning for homosexuality and adultery among others.
As reported by TMZ, the singer and his fiancee Nicole Pantenburg made a quick switch after learning of the story. The couple, who planned to hold the wedding ceremony and the reception at the Hotel Bel-Air owned by the Sultan, reportedly has chosen another venue in Beverly Hills area.
Some Hollywood stars such as Ellen DeGeneres and Stephen Fry have joined protest against the implementation of the law. Earlier this month, Jay Leno joined other protesters and spoke outside the Beverly Hills Hotel, also owned by the Sultan. "What is this, Berlin, 1933? This doesn't seem far off what happened in the Holocaust," the former "Tonight Show" host said. "Come on people, it's 2014. Evil flourishes when good people do nothing."
Besides, some events which were planned to take place at the hotel, such as Leno and his wife's Global Women's Rights Awards and The Motion Picture & Television Fund's event "Night Before the Oscars", were moved to other locations. Richard Branson also said on Twitter that none of his employees would stay at hotels owned by Dorchester Collection which is backed by the Sultan.
- Chris Evans' Steve Rogers Is No Longer Captain America in MCU, Russo Brothers Confirm
- 'Blade Runner 2' Set Collapses, Killing Construction Worker
- Scott Eastwood Makes Emotional Phone Call to Father of His Ex Who Died in Car Crash
- Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa Sued by Victims of Collapsed Railing at Their Concert
- Homeland Security on the Hunt for Those Who Hacked Leslie Jones' Website
- Check Out Christina Grimmie's Third Posthumous Music Video for 'Deception'
- Amber Heard Slams Johnny Depp for Directly Sending Her Settlement Money to Charities
- The Rock Topples Robert Downey Jr. From Top Spot on List of Highest-Paid Actors 2016