Neil Patrick Harris Declined CBS Late-Night Gig, Is Interested in Doing Variety Show
Neil Patrick Harris had a shot at taking over the "Late Night" show from David Letterman. The actor, who currently headlines Broadway production of the rock musical "Hedwig and the Angry Inch", just revealed that he was indeed offered the gig before Stephen Colbert eventually landed the job.
Stressing that they were "not in conversation like about-to-make-a-deal," Harris told Howard Stern during a visit to his radio show that "they called me in and sat me down and asked if it was something I'd be interested in, because I have a good relationship with them from 'How I Met Your Mother'." He had a meeting with CBS programming chief Nina Tassler and CBS head Les Moonves, but then realized he wasn't suitable for the job.
"I felt like I knew what my skill set was and what I wanted to do after the show, with them," he explained. "It surprised me [Moonves] pitched me that idea. I sat for a time with it while I was talking to him, and I told him what concerned me about the longevity of that kind of gig. I think I would get bored of the repetition fast. The structure is so set - I don't have any interest in doing Monologue, Commercial, Sketch, Guest, Guest, Musical Act, Good Night."
The Barney Stinson of "HIMYM", however, is interested in doing a weekly variety show for CBS. Asked if Moonves was interested, he replied, "Yeah - he still might be."
More Neil Patrick Harris News
- Steven Tyler Confirms Aerosmith's 2017 Farewell Tour
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'
- Christina Aguilera Performs 'Change' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' to Support Orlando
- Justin Bieber's Music Video Vixen Xenia Deli, 26, Marries 62-Year-Old Man in Lavish Wedding