Neil Patrick Harris Declined CBS Late-Night Gig, Is Interested in Doing Variety Show
Neil Patrick Harris had a shot at taking over the "Late Night" show from David Letterman. The actor, who currently headlines Broadway production of the rock musical "Hedwig and the Angry Inch", just revealed that he was indeed offered the gig before Stephen Colbert eventually landed the job.
Stressing that they were "not in conversation like about-to-make-a-deal," Harris told Howard Stern during a visit to his radio show that "they called me in and sat me down and asked if it was something I'd be interested in, because I have a good relationship with them from 'How I Met Your Mother'." He had a meeting with CBS programming chief Nina Tassler and CBS head Les Moonves, but then realized he wasn't suitable for the job.
"I felt like I knew what my skill set was and what I wanted to do after the show, with them," he explained. "It surprised me [Moonves] pitched me that idea. I sat for a time with it while I was talking to him, and I told him what concerned me about the longevity of that kind of gig. I think I would get bored of the repetition fast. The structure is so set - I don't have any interest in doing Monologue, Commercial, Sketch, Guest, Guest, Musical Act, Good Night."
The Barney Stinson of "HIMYM", however, is interested in doing a weekly variety show for CBS. Asked if Moonves was interested, he replied, "Yeah - he still might be."
- Wait... What? Is Tiger Woods Saying He Doesn't Regret Cheating on Elin Nordegren?
- Marvel Pulls 'Invincible Iron Man' Cover After Accusations of 'Sexualizing' Its Underage Hero
- No More Sexy Selfies? Kim Kardashian Is Re-Emerging 'More Covered Up' and 'Less Make-Up'
- Drake Hints at Releasing New Music on His 30th Birthday. Get Details on His Celebration
- Blac Chyna Pokes Fun at Her Pregnancy Curves, Compares Herself to a Pokemon
- Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal's Love Turns to Hatred in 'Nocturnal Animals' First Full Trailer
- Jay-Z and Beyonce Are Both Upset With 'Nut Job' Kanye West Following His Rant
- Justin Bieber Scolds Concertgoers for Screaming at Manchester Show