August 28, 2016  

Jay-Z Drops Extortion Case Over Lost Master Recordings

May 15, 2014 (8:48 am) GMT
Jay-Z will not press criminal extortion charges against Chauncey Mahan, who demanded $100,000 in 'storage fees' for a number of old recordings that the rapper thought were lost in 2002.

has decided to no longer pursue criminal extortion charges over his old recordings. According to a new report by TMZ, the 44-year-old MC and his camp have chosen not to move forward and the Beverly Hills Police Department has closed its investigation as a result.

As previously reported, Jay-Z was the target of an alleged extortion plot. Chauncey Mahan, a producer who worked with him from 1998 to 2002, was detained by the LAPD for allegedly stealing a number of master recordings that Hova assumed were lost in 2002.

Mahan allegedly told Jay-Z that he would put the tapes up for auction or give them back for a $100,000 "storage fee." Mahan was detained for questioning when he showed up at the storage facility where he kept the tapes, which are worth $20 million.

Mahan has maintained his innocence, claiming that he was hired to "protect" Jay Z's music over a decade ago. He turned over the masters and the LAPD will remain in possession of the recordings until a judge decides who has rightful ownership.

More Jay-Z News

TODAY'S HEADLINES

  1. P. Diddy Throws Star-Studded Birthday Party for Girlfriend Cassie
  2. Kim Kardashian Says Kendall Jenner Is Banned by Uber, the Company Responds
  3. J Balvin Survives Plane Crash in Bahamas
  4. Luke Cage Reveals the Downside of Being Bulletproof in First Clip
  5. Justin Bieber and Sofia Richie Jet Off for Romantic Getaway Ahead of MTV VMAs
  6. Britney Spears Calls 'Carpool Karaoke' With James Corden 'Awkward'
  7. Taylor Swift Naked Wax Figure Displayed at Kanye West's 'Famous' Art Exhibit
  8. Tom Hiddleston's Instagram Gets Hacked