Jason Patric Wins Appeal in Custody Battle of His Biological Son
Actor Jason Patric scores huge victory in a paternity case of his son Gus. On Wednesday, May 14, a California Appellate Court decided that he has rights to see his son, who was born via artificial insemination. According to California law, full custody of the child will go to the mother unless they have written agreement prior to the conception.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, California appeals court judge Thomas Willhite said during the Wednesday court session that presumption against in vitro fathers shouldn't be "so categorical," and that the family law code "does not preclude a donor from establishing that he is a presumed father."
Back then, when they were still in a relationship, Patric and the boy's mother Danielle Schreiber tried to have a baby, but it was difficult. Patric then said in a letter in 2008 that he was not ready to have a child, but he would allow Schreiber to use his sperm with the condition that she didn't tell anyone. After the baby boy was born in 2009, the star of "The Lost Boys" spent his time with him when he was in New York and communicated via Skype when he was away.
Schreiber did not allow him to see Gus after they broke up in 2012. The actor then filed paternity claim.
Following the appeals court's decision, an attorney for the boy's mother Patrica Glaser told PEOPLE, "We respectfully disagree with the court of appeal. We are exploring our options and should make a decision shortly. The best interest of the child continues to be our goal. His well being, not publicity, will dictate how we proceed."
- Amber Rose Cozying Up to 'DWTS' Pro Val Chmerkovskiy at Her Birthday Party
- Fans Petition 'Deadpool 2' to Hire Quentin Tarantino After Tim Miller's Exit
- It's Not a Perfect Illusion. Lady GaGa Exposes Bare Crotch in Super Tiny Shorts
- Watch President Obama's Perfect Response to Donald Trump's Mean Tweet
- Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Are 'Getting Serious' as She Finalizes Divorce From Lamar Odom
- New 'John Wick: Chapter Two' Images Reveal Bruce Lee's 'Enter the Dragon'-Inspired Setting
- Kourtney Kardashian Channels Evil Queen in Halloween Costume
- Watch Dwayne Johnson Sing 'You're Welcome' in New 'Moana' Clip