Edgar Ramirez Replaces Gerard Butler in 'Point Break' Remake
Edgar Ramirez officially boards "Point Break" remake to play Bodhi made famous by the late Patrick Swayze in the original movie. The charismatic surfer was initially set to be played by Gerard Butler before he left due to creative differences and scheduling conflict.
The "Zero Dark Thirty (2012)" actor joins Luke Bracey who will portray Johnny Utah, a hotshot FBI agent originally played by Keanu Reeves in the Kathryn Bigelow film, and Ray Winstone who is cast as an older FBI agent portrayed by Gary Busey in the classic movie.
Principal photography is expected to begin this summer for August 7, 2015 release. "We consider Edgar one of the finest actors in the world today, and we are thrilled he will be creating a fresh new take on the iconic character of Bodhi," said Alcon principals Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson.
"Invincible" helmer Ericson Core sits behind the lens, and Kurt Wimmer writes the screenplay. The remake will revolve around an FBI agent infiltrating a crime ring set in the international world of extreme sports, not just limited to the Southern California surf scene like in the 1991 film.
Ramirez was last seen in "The Counselor" and will next appear in horror movie "Deliver Us from Evil". The Venezuelan actor recently wrapped the filming of "Hands of Stone". He plays the title character in the Roberto Duran biopic and shares screen with Robert De Niro.
- Another Dig at Zayn Malik? Listen to Little Mix's Catchy New Track 'You Gotta Not'
- Cuteness Overload! Chrissy Teigen Dresses Daughter Luna as Banana, Minnie Mouse and Others
- Daisy Ridley Responds to 'Sexist' Claims That Rey Is Mary Sue in 'The Force Awakens'
- Amber Heard Reportedly Dating a Musician After Johnny Depp Split. Who's Her New Man?
- NBC Announces Next Live Musical 'Bye Bye Birdie' Starring Jennifer Lopez
- Iggy Azalea's Former Fiance Nick Young Welcomes Baby No. 2 With His Other Ex
- Felicity Jones Leads the Rebel Alliance in New 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' Pic
- Is Mariah Carey's 'Close Relationship' With a Male Dancer to Blame for James Packer Split?