Report: Max Landis Tapped to Write 'Power Rangers' Movie
A writer reportedly has been hired to write a fresh treatment to bring Power Rangers back to the silver screen. Schmoes Know reports Max Landis ("Chronicle") is currently writing the script and has turned in a draft to producers Jim Miller, Alison Shearmur, and Haim Saban.
The project is developed by Lionsgate in conjunction with Saban Brands. It will re-envision the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, a group of high school kids who are infused with unique and cool super powers but must harness and use those powers as a team if they have any hope of saving the world.
No director and actor have been cast for the new take on the six iconic color-coded superheroes. The film is expected to be a potential new franchise and follows the successes of Lionsgate's series like "Twilight", "The Hunger Games", and "Divergent".
"Lionsgate is the perfect home for elevating our 'Power Rangers' brand to the next level," said creator Saban. "They have the vision, marketing prowess and incredible track record in launching breakthrough hits from 'The Hunger Games' to 'Twilight' and 'Divergent'."
He added, "In partnership with the Lionsgate team, we're confident that we will capture the world of the Power Rangers and translate it into a unique and memorable motion picture phenomenon with a legacy all its own."
"Power Rangers" was first launched as a live action television series more than 20 years ago. It has been in continuous production ever since, with the current one "Super Megaforce" airing on Nickelodeon. The first feature film was released in 1995, followed by a second one in 1997. Both were released by 20th Century Fox.
- Ellen DeGeneres Punishes Audience Member for Stealing on the Show
- Report: Shin Min A Accompanies BF Kim Woo Bin Receiving Cancer Treatment
- Alexis Bledel Returns for 'The Handmaid's Tale' Season 2 as Series Regular
- Cheryl Signs Up for Private Boxing Sessions in an Attempt to Get Back Into Shape After Giving Birth
- Jake Gyllenhaal Loses His Legs in Boston Marathon Bombing in Intense Trailer for 'Stronger'
- 50 Cent Has the Hots for Helen Mirren Despite 30-Year Age Gap: 'She Turns Me On'
- Big Bang's G-Dragon Sparks Plastic Surgery Speculations
- Amy Poehler and Seth Meyers Revive 'SNL' 'Really?!' Segment to Mock Pro-Trump Protesters