Nicole Kidman Dances Salsa at Cannes Film Festival Opening Ceremony
Nicole Kidman brought extra feast for the eyes at the 67th annual Cannes International Film Festival on Wednesday, May 14. Dazzling in a blue encrusted Armani gown with Harvey Winston jewels, the 46-year-old actress delivered an impromptu salsa during the opening ceremony.
It began as Master of Ceremony Lambert Wilson recalled dancing with Kidman at a party many years ago in his speech. "But was it a dream," he wondered. "There's one way to find out," the French actor said, leaping from the stage and walking to her seat to ask her to dance. The Australian beauty accepted it and gracefully danced among the seated guests, which included Blake Lively and Zoe Saldana, inside the festival hall.
Kidman, who was joined by "Grace of Monaco" co-stars Tim Roth and Paz Vega on the opening night, defended her movie as Monaco royal family slammed it and said in a press released that the "feature cannot under any circumstances be classified as a biopic." The Grace Kelly depicter said, "I feel sad because I think that the film has no malice toward the family or particularly towards Grace or Rainier."
She added, "I understand the protection of the privacy of their mother and father. I want them to know that the performance was done with love and if they see it I think they'd see there's an enormous amount of affection for their parents and for the love story of their parents."
Unfortunately, the drama film didn't get enough love from critics either. The Olivier Dahan-directed pic was described as "a stiff, stagey, thuddingly earnest affair which has generated far more drama off screen than on" by The Hollywood Reporter's Stephen Dalton.
Screen Daily's Fionnuala Halligan said it's "puzzlingly misjudged... a minor royal Euro-pudding which lands awkwardly in sub-Roman Holiday territory." The Telegraph, meanwhile, dubbed it "fantastically silly."
"Grace of Monaco" is set to open in U.K. theaters on June 6. A U.S. release date for the movie is still not announced after The Weinstein Co. yanked it from the 2014 schedule earlier this year.
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics
- Kanye West and Kim Kardashian Live Under Different Roofs After He's Released From Hospital
- Jeremih Allegedly Sends a Body Double to Perform for Him in Houston
- Twitter Trolls Respond to Amy Schumer's 'Barbie' Casting With Fat-Shaming Comments
- Kylie Jenner Braves the Cold Weather in Racy Bikini in These Pics
- Naked Jai Courtney Chased 'Suicide Squad' Director Around on Set. See the NSFW Photo!
- Robert Pattinson Is Proud of Kristen Stewart and Is 'Super Impressed' With Her Rolling Stones Video