Artist Behind 'Alien' Creature H.R. Giger Dies at 74
H.R. Giger, an Oscar-winning Swiss artist who probably is mostly known for designing 'Xenomorph' alien in Ridley Scott's sci-fi film "Alien", has passed away. He was 74. A representative of the H.R. Giger Museum in Gruyeres, Switzerland told The Associated Press that Giger died on Monday, May 12 due to injuries he sustained after a fall on stairs at his home in Zurich.
"I am very saddened to hear of Giger's passing," Scott said in a statement. "I think back on how committed and passionate he was, and then consequently, all the security we built up around his 'lock up' studios at Shepperton. I was the only one allowed the honor of going in, and I absolutely enjoyed every hour I spent with him there. He was a real artist and great eccentric, a true original, but above all, he was a really nice man. He will be missed."
The surrealist was born Hans Ruedi Giger on February 5, 1940 in the town of Chur. He studied architecture and industrial design in Zurich when he was young.
"It was his mother who gave him a postcard when he was a little boy of a [Salvador] Dali painting. And it just transfixed him," James Cowan, Giger's publisher and the owner of Morpheus Fine Art in Las Vegas, told All Things Considered. Cowan added that many of Giger's works were inspired by his nightmares. "He would have nightmares, going through passages and tunnels and this sort of thing. And took his dreams and put them on paper," he said.
In addition to "Alien", Giger worked as a set designer for movies such as "Species", "Poltergeist II" and "Dune". Giger's works were also featured in album covers. One of his designs appeared in "Brain Salad Surgery", a 1973's album by Emerson, Lake & Palmer. His other work additionally was featured in Debbie Harry's solo album, "Koo Koo", which was released in 1981.
- Morgan Freeman Eyed to Join Disney's New 'Nutcracker' Film
- Get Your First Look at Tyler Hoechlin as Clark Kent on 'Supergirl'
- Taika Waititi Hints at Thanos' Connection to 'Thor: Ragnarok' in New Photo
- Lindsey Vonn Accidentally Flashes Underwear on the Red Carpet
- Rihanna Swarmed by Her Fans in 'Goodnight Gotham' Music Video
- Tony Parker Welcomes Second Child With Wife Axelle Francine
- Candice Swanepoel Bares Baby Bump While Posing Completely Naked in This Photo
- 'Sesame Street' Reconsiders Layoffs After Public Outcry, Actor Says