Roberto Orci Confirmed to Direct 'Star Trek 3'
After being rumored as a director for "Star Trek 3", Roberto Orci is now confirmed to have landed the job, Variety learns. He replaces J.J. Abrams who leaves the directing seat to helm "Star Wars Episode 7". The sequel to 2013's "Star Trek Into Darkness" will mark Orci's directorial debut.
Orci writes the script for the third installment with Patrick McKay and John D. Payne. He was initially tapped as a scribe along with his writing partner Alex Kurtzman who later pulled out of the job. The duo has parted ways on the movie side to allow them to pursue separate feature careers as directors.
Kurtzman himself is attached to direct "The Amazing Spider-Man" spin-off, "Venom (2017)", which he wrote with Orci and Ed Solomon. He made his directorial debut with 2012's indie drama "People Like Us" starring Chris Pine, Elizabeth Banks, Olivia Wilde, and Jon Favreau.
"Star Trek 3" is planned to arrive sometime in 2016. Some of the cast from the first two installments of the rebooted franchise, like Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto, are expected to reprise their respective roles. Abrams will still be involved in the project as a producer.
- 'Game of Thrones' Set Pics: Look Who's Also Back for Season 7!
- Are They Really Dating? Drake Already Introduces Taylor Swift to His Mom
- Ouch, It Looks Painful! Hugh Jackman Suffers Gunshot Wounds in New 'Logan' Image
- Jasmine Tookes to Rock Victoria's Secret New Fantasy Bra. See and Get Details of the $3M Lingerie!
- J.J. Abrams' 'God Particle' Is Reportedly the Next 'Cloverfield' Movie
- Is This What Tom Hiddleston Thinks of Taylor Swift Getting Close With Drake?
- 'Sherlock' Season 4 Gets Premiere Date. Mark Your Calendar!
- Gavin Rossdale Signs Publishing Deal With Roc Nation