Donald Sterling Slams Magic Johnson in CNN Interview
Donald Sterling has spoken up and apologized after he was caught making racist remarks during an argument with his girlfriend. The L.A. Clippers owner sat down with Anderson Cooper for an interview with CNN, aired on Monday, May 12, and said that he was sorry for making "terrible mistake." The billionaire, however, made another controversial statement regarding Magic Johnson and his HIV status during the chat.
"Well, what kind of a guy goes to every city, has sex with every girl, then he catches HIV? Is that someone we want to respect and tell our kids about?" he said in the interview. "I think he should be ashamed of himself. I think he should go into the background. But what does he do for the black people? He doesn't do anything."
According to the businessman, Johnson suggested that Sterling don't say anything to media following the controversy and that he would help him. "He thought the whole thing will be resolved in two weeks. What has he done? Can you tell me? Big Magic Johnson, what has he done?" he asked Cooper.
Sterling also talked about Jews helping others when they got successful, but African-Americans did not do it. "That's one problem I have. Jews when they get successful they will help their people and some of the African-Americans - maybe I'll get in trouble again - they don't want to help anybody," Sterling said.
NBA commissioner Adam Silver has released a statement following Sterling's remarks about the former NBA star. It read, "I just read a transcript of Donald Sterling's interview with Anderson Cooper and while Magic Johnson doesn't need me to, I feel compelled on behalf of the NBA family to apologize to him that he continues to be dragged into this situation and be degraded by such a malicious and personal attack."
"The NBA Board of Governors is continuing with its process to remove Mr. Sterling as expeditiously as possible," the statement added.
- 'Game of Thrones' Stars Talk About the Bloodbath and Power Transfer in Season Finale
- Deadpool Makes Surprise Appearance in 'X-Men: Apocalypse' Japanese Trailer
- 50 Cent Arrested in the Caribbean for Saying 'Motherf**ker' at Music Festival
- Adele Burps While Taking Selfie With a Fan Onstage. See the Hilarious Video
- Rihanna Previews New Song 'Sledgehammer' From 'Star Trek Beyond'
- Mariah Carey Shows Off Bare Butts at Her DJ Debut in Las Vegas
- Justin Timberlake Attacked by Twitter Users for His Comment on Jesse Williams' BET Awards Speech
- Artist of the Week: Calvin Harris