ABC Renews 'Last Man Standing' and 'Nashville', Orders Two More Series
ABC has granted new season orders to "Last Man Standing" and "Nashville". The renewals mean the Tim Allen-starring sitcom will be back for a fourth season and the country music drama will return for a 22-episode third season.
The network has additionally picked up two more comedies, "Cristela" and "Fresh Off the Boat", to series. The former, starring Cristela Alonzo, is a semi-autobiographical multicamera entry. ABC acquired it last summer but passed on it. Studio 20th TV took the $500,000 penalty and used it to film a "proof of concept" presentation on "Last Man Standing" stage with the show's crew.
"Cristela" centers on the title character, an American Latina who, in her sixth year of law school, is finally on the brink of landing her first big (unpaid) internship at a prestigious law firm. The only problem is that her pursuit of success is more ambitious than her traditional Mexican-American family thinks is appropriate. She's stuck straddling the old culture she's trying to modernize at home with her working-class family and the modern world she's trying to embrace in her professional career.
"Fresh Off the Boat" is written by "Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23" showrunner Nahnatchka Kahn, who also executive produces the new show along with Jake Kasdan. The single-camera comedy is based on Chef Eddie Huang's memoir of the same name.
According to the official logline for the show, "it's the 90s and 12-year-old, hip-hop loving Eddie (Hudson Yang) just moved to suburban Orlando from DC's Chinatown with his parents (Randall Park and Constance Wu). It's culture shock for his immigrant family in this comedy about pursuing the American Dream."
ABC previously renewed "Scandal", "Grey's Anatomy", "Castle", "Revenge", "Once Upon a Time", "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." and "Resurrection". It has also ordered a bunch of new series, including "How to Get Away with Murder" from executive producer Shonda Rhimes and "Marvel's Agent Carter".
- Donnie Wahlberg, and Not Kim K., Sets Guiness World Record for Most Selfies in 3 Minutes
- Benedict Cumberbatch Channels Doctor Strange to Diagnose the Avengers in New Promo Clip
- Taylor Swift's Alleged Groping Photo Leaks Despite Sealed by Judge
- Nicole Richie Doesn't Regret Her Wild Past: I Was Just 'Being Me'
- Lady GaGa Makes a Japanese Bride Extra Happy With This Sweet Gesture. Watch It!
- 'Rogue One': Gareth Edwards Teases Ben Mendelsohn's 'Working Class' Character
- Laverne Cox Is a 'Bad B***h,' Slays Nicki Minaj's 'Roman's Revenge' in 'Lip Sync Battle' Clip
- Jack O'Connell to Star as Alexander McQueen in Biopic