Donald Sterling Apologizes for Racist Comments
Donald Sterling finally opens up about the racism scandal which recently hit him. The Los Angeles Clippers owner spoke on the topic in an interview with CNN's Anderson Cooper which is set to air on Monday, May 12, saying that he was baited into making the racist comments and apologized for the "terrible mistake."
"I'm not a racist," Sterling said during the interview which took place on Sunday. "I made a terrible, terrible mistake. And I'm here with you today to apologize and to ask for forgiveness for all the people that I've hurt."
Sterling also said that he was "emotionally distraught" after the incident. "The reason it's hard for me, very hard for me, is that I'm wrong. I caused the problem. I don't know how to correct it," he admitted.
"I'm a good member who made a mistake and I'm apologizing and I'm asking for forgiveness," he added. "Am I entitled to one mistake, am I after 35 years? I mean, I love my league, I love my partners. Am I entitled to one mistake? It's a terrible mistake, and I'll never do it again."
The controversy started after Sterling was caught in an audio posted on TMZ berating his girlfriend for her association with African-American people. He later was banned from NBA for life. "When I listen to that tape, I don't even know how I can say words like that. ... I don't know why the girl had me say those things," he told Cooper.
"You're saying you were set up?" the journalist asked, to which Sterling answered, "Well yes, I was baited." The billionaire explained, "I mean, that's not the way I talk. I don't talk about people for one thing, ever. I talk about ideas and other things. I don't talk about people."
- Lisa Marie Presley's Kids in State Custody After Indecent Child Pics Found on Ex's Computer
- Samuel L. Jackson Hints at Nick Fury's Appearance in 'Captain Marvel'
- Aaron Carter Responds to Racism Accusation After Onstage Brawl
- Angelina Jolie Takes Her 6 Kids to Cambodia Amid Brad Pitt Divorce and Custody Drama
- Zoe Saldana Gives Birth to Baby No. 3 With Marco Perego
- Royal Showdown! Kate Middleton Reportedly Feuding With Meghan Markle
- Camila Cabello Is 'Dying' to Enlist Taylor Swift for Debut Solo Album
- Donald Glover to Play Simba in 'The Lion King' Remake