'Neighbors' Unseats 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' From Box Office Throne
"The Amazing Spider-Man 2" failed to hold on to its crown after one week, being unseated by R-rated frat comedy "Neighbors". The superhero movie could be popular overseas but the domestic market has been giving it a rough time for a movie in its scale.
The Andrew Garfield-starring film pulled in $37.2 million this weekend for a total of $147.9 million in the domestic box office chart. Overseas, it earned $69.5 million over the weekend for a foreign total of $403 million. That said, the film has grossed $550 million worldwide but more than 70 percent of it came from international markets.
Meanwhile, "Neighbors" exceeded expectations by taking $51.1 million in its opening weekend. Starring Seth Rogen and Zac Efron, it became the second-biggest opening weekend ever for an R-rated non-sequel or spin-off comedy behind "Ted" ($54 million). It also did well overseas by taking $34.4 million from 29 countries, placing No. 1 in 17 of those. Made on a $18 million budget, "Neighbors" became a huge financial win for Universal.
The rest of the top five positions at the weekend box office are filled by old players. Sitting at number three is comedy "The Other Woman (2014)" which adds $9.2 million in its third week. The religious-themed "Heaven is for Real" takes in $7 million in its fourth week and lands at the fourth spot, followed by "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" with $5.6 million on top of $244.9 million total gross.
Meanwhile, Jon Favreau's "Chef" made an impressive debut in limited theaters, earning $204,201 when it opened on six screens last week.
- "Neighbors" - $51.1 million
- "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" - $37.2 million
- "The Other Woman (2014)" - $9.2 million
- "Heaven is for Real" - $7million
- "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" - $5.6 million
- "Rio 2" - $5.1 million
- "Moms' Night Out" - $4.2 million
- "Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return" - $3 million
- "Divergent" - $1.7 million
- "Brick Mansions" - $1.5 million
- Joanna Krupa Causes Internet Frenzy After Seemingly Posing Fully-Naked
- David Ayer Regrets That Joker Is Not 'Suicide Squad' Main Villain
- Robin Excitedly Tries on Different Costumes in First 'Lego Batman Movie' Clip
- Kendall Jenner Flashes Her Breasts in Sheer Top While Strolling Around Paris
- Kanye West Reportedly Ready to Continue His Canceled 'Saint Pablo' Tour
- Chelsea Clinton Branded Hypocrite After Defending Barron Trump From Cyberbullies
- New 'Powerless' Promo Features Crimson Fox Catching a Train
- Woody Harrelson Is Han Solo's Mentor in Upcoming 'Star Wars' Spin-Off