Benham Brothers on Show's Cancellation Due to Anti-Gay Stance: 'So Be It'
David and Jason Benham do not regret losing the chance to have their own TV show on HGTV due to their anti-gay stance. In a statement released on Thursday, May 8, the twin brothers said, "If our faith costs us a television show, then so be it."
David also said in an interview on CNN's "Erin Burnett OutFront", "We actually felt really bad for HG that they were pushed into this position." Despite holding firmly their belief, David insisted, "I love homosexuals." He added, "I'm grateful for the opportunity to say directly to the camera that we love homosexuals. We have absolutely nothing against the people .. there's a difference between the people and the agenda."
David went on speculating that there's an anti-faith agenda. "The real issue at hand here is there is an agenda that seeks to silence men and women of faith who, if we want to voice our beliefs or voice our views, then we shouldn't be afraid of losing our livelihood," he said.
"One of the things that's important is that never have I ever spoken about homosexuals as individuals and gone against them, what I speak about is an agenda. And that's really what the point of this is, that there is an agenda that is seeking to silence the voices of men and women of faith, and that's what of all this is about."
Jason went on claiming that HGTV had known about their past religious work and beliefs before greenlighting the series, but decided to give it a go anyway. "HG had an opportunity to vet us and when they, a year and a half ago, saw some of the footage where my brother was saying the things he was saying, they spoke with us they got to know us a little better, and then they made a judgment call recognizing that David and I have no hate in our heart for anyone," he said.
After the basic cable channel announced that "Flip It Forward" would be included in its fall line-up, Right Wing Watch reported that the Benhams were anti-gay activists. HGTV took some time to review "all information about the Benhams" before deciding not to move forward with the real estate series to be hosted by the twin brothers.
- Is Jennifer Lawrence Dating Darren Aronofsky to Score Movie Roles?
- Selena Gomez's Mother Is NOT Fighting for a Conservatorship Despite Report
- Nicole Richie Is Livid Her Sister Sofia Richie Hangs Out With Her Ex-BFF Paris Hilton
- 'Legends of Tomorrow': Where's Rip Hunter? EP Promises 'You Will Find Out Before the Legends Do'
- George and Amal Clooney Unabashedly Affectionate on Movie Set
- Kris Jenner Tearfully Blasts 'Disloyal' Kim Over Caitlyn Jenner Drama, Wants Her to Pick Sides
- Watch the First Teaser Trailer for Barack Obama Biopic 'Barry'
- Benedict Cumberbatch's Doctor Strange Not the Right Magician for Birthday Party. Watch It Yourself!