Angelina Jolie and Other Stars Show Support for Kidnapped Nigerian School Girls
Hollywood celebrities and public figures have joined forces in social media to raise awareness for 300 Nigerian girls who were kidnaped by Boko Haram from their school in the village of Chibok. The celebrities joined a campaign on social media using the hashtag "#BringBackOurGirls" to show their support, urging people to help the girls come back home safely.
"Sending prayers to Nigerian families who are missing their daughters. It's time to #bringbackourgirls," Reese Witherspoon tweeted. "This is barbaric. Human trafficking needs to end NOW. RT #BringBackOurGirls," Jessica Biel added.
Ian Somerhalder also took part in the campaign, writing, "Empowering our youth through education is the TRUE key to hope-let's use our voices,innovation&collective power to #BringBackOurGirls NOW!!!" Whoopi Goldberg additionally wrote, "Kidnapping innocent children who just want 2 make Africa, stronger & equal thru education & want 2 make life better 4 all MAKES NO SENSE."
Angelina Jolie, meanwhile, mentioned the issue during an interview with French news channel i-Tele. "I'm absolutely sickened by it. And the thought of them out there right now, terrified and being abused, and sold ... it's infuriating, and it kind of goes beyond understanding that somebody could do this," she said.
The actress also talked about the Nigerian girls during a press conference for "Maleficent" in Paris on Tuesday, May 6. "Sadly, there is of course real evil in the world, and you watch the news and you see all the people suffering, and so much cruelty, and it's unthinkable cruelty. Like those girls who were kidnapped in Nigeria. Unthinkable cruelty and evil," she stated.
Kim Kardashian, Katie Holmes, Zoe Saldana and Kerry Washington are among other stars who showed their support. Other figures such as Michelle Obama, John Kerry and Hillary Clinton also joined the campaign on Twitter.
More Angelina Jolie News
- Paris Jackson Wants to Save 'Reclusive' Aunt Janet Jackson Amid Split From Wissam Al Mana
- Is Gigi Hadid Taking Her Diet Too Far? Her Extreme Weight Loss Raises Concern
- Phoebe Tonkin and Paul Wesley Enjoy Intimate Dinner - Back On?
- 'World War Z 2' Will Likely Reunite David Fincher and Brad Pitt
- Kourtney Kardashian's Looking for 'More Loyal Soulmate' as She's 'So Over' Scott Disick
- Is Meghan Markle Planning to Get Pregnant Before Marrying Prince Harry?
- Hailee Steinfeld, Kelsea Ballerini and Sofia Carson to Perform Britney Spears Medley at RDMA 2017
- Nam Joo Hyuk's Fans Angered by His Relationship With Lee Sung Kyung