Angelina Jolie and Other Stars Show Support for Kidnapped Nigerian School Girls
Hollywood celebrities and public figures have joined forces in social media to raise awareness for 300 Nigerian girls who were kidnaped by Boko Haram from their school in the village of Chibok. The celebrities joined a campaign on social media using the hashtag "#BringBackOurGirls" to show their support, urging people to help the girls come back home safely.
"Sending prayers to Nigerian families who are missing their daughters. It's time to #bringbackourgirls," Reese Witherspoon tweeted. "This is barbaric. Human trafficking needs to end NOW. RT #BringBackOurGirls," Jessica Biel added.
Ian Somerhalder also took part in the campaign, writing, "Empowering our youth through education is the TRUE key to hope-let's use our voices,innovation&collective power to #BringBackOurGirls NOW!!!" Whoopi Goldberg additionally wrote, "Kidnapping innocent children who just want 2 make Africa, stronger & equal thru education & want 2 make life better 4 all MAKES NO SENSE."
Angelina Jolie, meanwhile, mentioned the issue during an interview with French news channel i-Tele. "I'm absolutely sickened by it. And the thought of them out there right now, terrified and being abused, and sold ... it's infuriating, and it kind of goes beyond understanding that somebody could do this," she said.
The actress also talked about the Nigerian girls during a press conference for "Maleficent" in Paris on Tuesday, May 6. "Sadly, there is of course real evil in the world, and you watch the news and you see all the people suffering, and so much cruelty, and it's unthinkable cruelty. Like those girls who were kidnapped in Nigeria. Unthinkable cruelty and evil," she stated.
Kim Kardashian, Katie Holmes, Zoe Saldana and Kerry Washington are among other stars who showed their support. Other figures such as Michelle Obama, John Kerry and Hillary Clinton also joined the campaign on Twitter.
More Angelina Jolie News
- Ryan Lochte Unveils Baby's Sex, Dishes on Wedding Plans With Fiancee Kayla Rae Reid
- Road to Reconciliation? Kris and Caitlyn Jenner Are Reportedly in Joint Therapy
- People's Choice Awards 2017: Ellen DeGeneres Breaks Record With 20th Win
- Fergie and Josh Duhamel Are Trying for Baby No. 2
- Khloe Kardashian Is 'Thrilled' She's Expecting First Child With Tristan Thompson
- Sony's Animated 'Spider-Man' Movie Will Feature Miles Morales as the Lead
- People's Choice Awards 2017: J.Lo, Blake Lively, Kristen Bell Stun on Red Carpet
- Grammy Awards 2017: John Legend, Metallica Among First Performers Announced