Canadian Author Farley Mowat Dies at 92
Farley Mowat, a Canadian author who probably is mostly known for his 1963's book "Never Cry Wolf", has passed away. He died on Tuesday, May 6 at his home in Port Hope, Ontario only one day prior to celebrating his 93rd birthday. An announcement confirming the death on his website read, "To allow for Farley's family and friends to mourn, book sales will be suspended until further notice."
An archivist who worked with Mowat, Rick Stapleton, told The Star that he was shocked upon learning of the death. "He was in good spirits when I talked to him last week. He said he had a clean bill of health and was heading down to his summer home in Cape Breton for the summer," he told the news outlet.
Mowat was born in Belleville, Ontario, in 1921. The author and environmentalist created a newsletter named "Nature Lore" when he was 13 and wrote columns on birds in Saskatoon Star-Phoenix. He started writing after serving in the Canadian military in Italy during World War II.
Mowat wrote 45 books in his five-decade of career. His works were sold 17 million copies and were translated into 52 languages. His most popular title probably is "Never Cry Wolf", which was based on his observation into Arctic wolves in the Keewatin Barren Lands in northern Manitoba in 1946. Some of his books including "The Snow Walker" (2003), "Lost in the Barrens" (1990), "Lost in the Barrens II: The Curse of the Viking Grave" (1992), "Never Cry Wolf" (1963) and "A Whale for the Killing" (1981) were adapted into TV movies.
Mowat was survived by his wife Claire and two children.
- Jamie Bell in Talks to Be the New James Bond
- First Look at Katherine Waterston's Daniels in 'Alien: Covenant' Image
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Plan $10M Lawsuit to Silence Former Bodyguard
- Justin Bieber Spotted on Dinner Date With Nicola Peltz
- Take a Peek at Gwen Stefani's 'Misery' Music Video in This Teaser
- Miranda Lambert Closes Her Boutique, Sells Building to Ex-Husband Blake Shelton
- 'DWTS' Pro Peta Murgatroyd and Maksim Chmerkovskiy Expecting First Child, but Something Upset Them
- Ben Affleck Gives Jennifer Garner 11-Carat Diamond Ahead of Their Anniversary - Is It True?