Mekhi Phifer Files for Bankruptcy
Mekhi Phifer reportedly is having financial difficulties. According to TMZ, the "ER" alum filed for bankruptcy last month. He apparently only has $67,000 in assets while his debt is totaling around $1.3 million. The $1.3 million debt consists of $1.2 million in back taxes, $50K in lawyers bills and $4,500 in back child support.
According to legal documents obtained by the site, he spends $11,600 in monthly expenses, but his income is $7,500. Meanwhile, some of Phifer's assets include a 12-year-old Segway, a leather bed, one shotgun and two 9mm pistols.
Phifer most recently appeared in "Divergent" alongside Shailene Woodley, Theo James and Miles Teller among others. Stopping by "Today" show in early March, the 39-year-old star said that his son was so excited he landed a role in the film which is based on a novel by Veronica Roth. "It was the first thing he's ever been excited about in my career ever! ... Now I'm cool, finally," he said.
He also talked about public's warm response to the movie, noting that the movie's crew had done a good job. "(Author) Veronica Roth did such a wonderful job putting these books together, and the adaptations that they did for the screenplay are just wonderful," he said. "I've been going on a multi-city tour for this film, and so many people are saying that they like it even more than the books."
- AMC Renews 'Turn' for Fourth and Final Season
- Keshia Knight Pulliam's Husband Ed Hartwell Files for Divorce, Wants Paternity Test
- Jinger Duggar Is Engaged to Former Pro Soccer Player Jeremy Vuolo
- Jimmy Page Breaks Silence on Led Zeppelin's 'Stairway to Heaven' Plagiarism Trial
- James Corden's 'Carpool Karaoke' Turned Into Series on Apple
- Ariana Grande Splits From Ricky Alvarez After 1 Year of Dating
- Lionel Messi Goes Platinum Blonde and Internet Just Can't Handle It
- MTV VMAs 2016: Beyonce and Adele Lead Nominations, Nick Jonas Is 'Disappointed' About His Snub