Zac Efron Relates to His Party Animal Character in 'Neighbors'
Zac Efron has no problem in preparing himself to play wild college stud in "Neighbors". Although never attending college, the actor can easily relate to his party-loving character due to his past experience of struggling with drug and alcohol addictions that led to his rehab stint last year.
"He's Fagin with this band of brothers he's raised. Can I relate to it? Yes," the former Disney star said of his character as quoted by Boston Herald. "The second I heard about Teddy, I knew this guy, I knew where he was at. I've been there and felt these feelings in some way clearly."
"I knew how to harness the brotherly camaraderie to the point where it makes you crazy. That was the cool part about Teddy I really understand," he added. "But making his insanity come from a good place was initially tricky. It's eccentric, but this is how young guys are. I know that because there was a brotherly bond that's romantic in some way."
In the movie due to arrive in States on May 9, Efron plays a fraternity leader who wants to leave a legacy of throwing the wildest parties. He and his frat brothers eventually engage in a war with their neighbors, a married couple played by Seth Rogen and Rose Byrne.
Aside from hosting rowdy parties and constantly annoying the couple next door, Efron's Teddy also shows off his six packs in a lot of shirtless scenes. The producers "would just snap their fingers and I knew what that meant: 'Zac, take your shirt off,' " he joked. His co-star Rogen cracked, "He didn't have a shirt in the budget by the end."
Efron's "fondest" memory of filming the comedy with Rogen is a scene where they're arguing about the best Batman, Christian Bale or Michael Keaton. "I had fun that night. We were improvising," the 26-year-old star said. Rogen, 32, chimed in, "It captures the small but vast generational divide of people his age and people my age."
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences