'Club Kid Killer' Michael Alig Released After 17 Years in Prison
A former party promoter named Michael Alig, who was dubbed "club kid killer" by media in the 1990s, was released from Mid-State Correctional Facility in Marcy, New York on Monday, May 5. He was released after serving 17 years behind bars for killing a man named Andre "Angel" Melendez in 1996.
The newly-freed Alig then took to Twitter to share a photo of him. "Happy to be free and so grateful for this second chance," he wrote. Alig added another snap of his "first burrito of freedom." He also joked about media's attention following his release, tweeting, "W/ all these cams following now I know what [Kim Kardashian] feels like!"
According to New York Daily News, Alig's run in with the law started in 1996 when he had an argument with Melendez, his drug dealer, over a drug debt. His friend Robert (Freeze) Riggs ended up bashing Melendez's head with a hammer. The two then cut up the body and dumped the body parts in the Hudson River. They pleaded guilty to manslaughter in 1997 and were sentenced to between 10 and 20 years in jail. Riggs was released in 2010.
The story was adapted into a 2003 movie named "Party Monster", starring Macaulay Culkin as Alig.
Happy to be free and so grateful for this second chance. Can't wait 2C @JSJdarling at dinner.
More Macaulay Culkin News
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers
- 'The Bachelor' Star Chris Soules' Ex Whitney Bischoff Is Engaged Again
- Comic-Con: 'Scream Queens' Stars Share Details of Season 2, Colton Haynes' Cast in Mystery Role
- Dakota Johnson Channels 'Fifty Shades' Character in This Provocative Photo
- Celine Dion Slays Her Impressions of Rihanna, Cher and Sia on 'Tonight Show'